cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adampeel
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Our site has been flagged incorrectly as potential suspicious behaviour

Siteadvisor has flagged our site with the following claim: "McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk. Use with caution."   http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/zarpet.com   I have checked similar site to ours and even some I'd personally not trust or at least find annoying because links will redirect you to site you don't want and yes they have green ticks. Come on how can siteadvisor be taken seriously if it doesn't explain why a site is "suspicious"   Thanks.

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: Our site has been flagged incorrectly as potential suspicious behaviour

You need to contact SiteAdvisor or Trustedsource to find out why the domain is moderate Risk : instructions on how to do that are contained in two documents :

McAfee SiteAdvisor Site Rating Explanation + Appeal Process  and How To Contact SiteAdvisor

Suggestion taken from Hayton's numerous posts

adampeel
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply, but I've tried that. What I'm really curious about is why our website was rated so harshly without an explanation!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I'll investigate and post back.  The explanation is usually out there somewhere, it just has to be tracked down. The TrustedSource people have more tools at their disposal than I do though so you're always advised to contact them at some stage.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

A couple of things stand out. First, the usual testing tools find no problem with your site, partly because it's a new one and many of them haven't tested it yet. The site does pass the Sucuri test, although that test reports a large number of iframes on the site (which AV programs regard with suspicion). SiteAdvisor itself has not tested your site (see below).

The site has been constructed using WordPress. The version used on your site is 3.3.1, which means it is not vulnerable to one of the recent malware infections on WordPress sites; but see this article from Help Net Security, which tells site owners to search for a line of interpolated code on their home page which redirects users to sites which download malware. The Yellow warning on TrustedSource may not be connected with this, but you should check.

I see you are having difficulties verifying the site with SiteAdvisor : the well-known problem with "... returning an HTTP 2xx or 3xx status response code in the header of 404 pages." I have to say that I am still unsure exactly what causes this, but have a look at https://community.mcafee.com/message/194249#194249 and see if that helps.

You can't get the site cleared by SiteAdvisor until it's verified. To speed up the verification process you should probably contact SiteAdvisor - see this document for details.

To find out why TrustedSource is giving your site a Medium Risk rating (and I can't see anything in the usual sources which would indicate why) you have to contact them as well - the document linked to above tells you how.

x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

the website has been updated and is now green in Site Advisor http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/zarpet.com

Best regards,

Peter

adampeel
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Thank You for providing so much information and the Article regarding malware.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community