cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

On Access Scanner Service/ Site Advisor question

99% of the time my Mcafee Site Advisor doesn't work. The only time it seems to work is the rare time when I'm logging on and a Microsoft window pops up that says "On Access Scanner Service not running". Only then when I launch my Firefox I notice the siteadvisor works (the icon is green). Why does this happen? Why does my Site advisor only work when when the On Access Scanner Service doesn't?

3 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: On Access Scanner Service/ Site Advisor question

No idea, at least not yet, but it's an interesting observation. Something to throw into the mix and ponder. SiteAdvisor is playing very mischievous just at the moment, and no-one can work out why. Or if they know why they're keeping very quiet about it, which is possibly worse. My own investigations started with a faulty handshake diagnosis and are now circling around a network packet corruption problem, but why and how that might happen I haven't figured out yet.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 4

Hi

From my Understanding McAfee uses McAfee Scanner service and I suspect On Access Scanner service relates to Windows Defender. If you are seeing OAS service from McAfee then please post back the version details of McAfee product Installed (Found on GUI > About link at bottom)

Regarding Site Advisor issue please post back below info to provide with right troubleshooting steps.

1. Version of Site Advisor installed

2. Working on Internet Explorer ?

3. Type of Network connection - whether disabled at startup

4. Whether Site Advisor works fine when On Access Scanner service stops?

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 4 of 4

1.Hi it says that I have McAfee Security Center 12.8

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware 16.8

McAfee Personal Firewall 13.8

McAfee Anti-Spam 13.8

McAfee site Advisor 3.7

2.I don't use IE. I only use Firefox.

3.What do you mean?. The kind of connection I use to access the Internet? I use DSL Broadband.

4.When On Access Service stops the Site Advisor works. That is when it only works. It won't work (grey icon as opposed to green) when the On Access Service is on.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community