cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weyq2
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

No google siteadvisors

Maybe you have all figured out this problem, but, one of our computers (both running on Vista) will not give any site advisors for any of the listings on a google search.

Is there anything that we need to do to get this working again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kris and Terry
9 Replies
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

RE: No google siteadvisors

Dear Kris and Terry,

We received your message reporting no annotations ( = site advisor ratings) on the google search results page on a Vista OS. Thank you for contacting us.

We would need some more information before we could help you out. Please answer the following questions:-

1. Could you please specify the version of SiteAdvisor you are using. To find this,
(i) Click on the black arrow mark in the SiteAdvisor toolbar
(ii) A drop-down menu would appear. On this menu, click on the "About" option
(iii) In the 'About' dialog box, just above the 'OK' button, 'Version' would be displayed. (e.g., 2.6.0.6253).

2. Could you please specify the google domain on which you performed the search. For example was it on http://www.google.com or http://www.google.ca (- Google Canada). It might be possible that in on of the localised search engines that the annotations ( - site advisor ratings) are not displayed. We do annonate on most of these localized search engines. But, it is possible that on some of these search engines annotations are not displayed. In that case, this is a bug and we will fix it.

3. Please specify the browser that you used to perform the google search. Currently, SiteAdvisor supports only Internet Explorer (version 6.0 and above) and Firefox (version 1.5 and above) browsers. So, if you were using other browsers like Safari, Netscape Navigator or Opera, no annotations ( - site advisor ratings) will be displayed by SiteAdvisor.

4. Were you able to consistently reproduce this issue on your Vista machine? Were annotations ( - site advisor ratings) displayed on other search engines like Yahoo! search (http://search.yahoo.com), MSN (http://www.msn.com), Live(http://www.live.com) and ask.com(http://www.ask.com).

5. Do you have the SSL option turned 'off' on your Internet Explorer browser? To check this,
(i) Open Internet Explorer
(ii) Click on Tools (or press Alt+T)
(iii) Click on 'Internet Options'
(iv) Click on the 'Advanced' tab
(v) In the list of options displayed, scroll down to the bottom where the 'Security' options are diplayed. Here check if 'Use SSL 2.0' and 'Use SSL 3.0' are checked (These options would be checked by default).

If these options are unchecked, then check whether SiteAdvisor SSL option is turned on. To check this, please follow the stpes given below:-
(i) Click on the black arrow mark in the SiteAdvisor toolbar
(ii) A drop-down menu would appear. On this menu, click on the "Settings..." option
(iii) Check whether 'Use SSL communications to server' option is checked (This option will be unchecked by default).

If the SSL option of Internet Explorer is unchecked and SiteAdvisor's SSL option is checked, then you will not be able to see any annotations on any search engine (google, yahoo, msn, live, etc.). This is a known issue. This is because Internet explorer has disabled SSL communications and SiteAdvisor is trying use SSL to communicate with our servers. Hence, SiteAdvisor is unable to communicate and search result are not annotated.

To overcome this, we suggest that you turn on SSL in Internet option. Make sure the option is checked. This is good since SSL provides secure communications on the Internet for web browsing, e-mail, instant messaging, etc. Once you turn this feature 'on' by checking the option , close and re-open your browser and perform any search on Google. you should be able to see annotations ( - site advisor ratings)

Also let us know know whether annotations were displayed on page refresh (Hit the F5 key or right click on the page and click on the 'Refresh' option). Please perform another search on google and check if annotations are displayed.

You could also try re-installing, SiteAdvisor. That might solve the problem.

We will try reproducing this issue on multiple Vista machines. Once you give us more information we'll get back to you immediately with a solution if possible. Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA
lastone
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Dear Praveen,

We reviewed your message and set my firefox browser with no annotations ( = site advisor ratings) on the google,yahoo,msn etc.
But it is still no effect.

We afford some more informations you could help me out.

1.My operation is : microsoft windows xp profession Version2002 SP3
2.My Firefox Browser Version is : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; zh-TW; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 ; even I used Firefox/2.0 have the same problem.
3.My SiteAdvisor Version is : 26.6 build 0
4.I enabled my Firefox network encrypt SSL3.0 and SiteAdvisor SSL enabled , even I disabled my Firefox and SiteAdvisor SSL have the same problem.

ps.My IE Version is : 7.0.5730.13 and SiteAdvisor Vision is : 2.6.0.6253 (working normal)

Sincerely,

lastone
barrera
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

I have the same problem, however, unlike the last reply, my problem began when I upgraded from Firefox 3 Beta 5 (wherein the SiteAdvisor is working normally) to Firefox 3 RC1 (wherein the SiteAdvisor is working normally except for the search icons) and this issue affects all the search engines I use. Internet Explorer SiteAdvisor is still working fine including the search icons.

My operating system is Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final
SiteAdvisor version: 26.6 build 6265
All search engines that I am using aren't showing the icons
Firefox 3 Release Candidate 1 is the browser that I am currently using
I just upgraded from Firefox 3 Beta 5 to Firefox 3 RC1 when the problem began (I neither disabled or removed SiteAdvisor when I upgraded to RC1)
SSL and TLS connections are open in Firefox
No annotations appear Google searches or any other search engines

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling SiteAdvisor but it still doesn't work... please help.
insomnii
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

I have the same problem using Firefox 2.0.0.14 and SiteAdvisor 26.5. I also adopted the above suggested solutions but to no avail. It seems that the problem lies with SA accessing the internet. May I know what Certification of Authority does SA use?
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Dear Kris and Terry

Thank you for providing the information we requested. From the information you've provided, we found that an important file that is provided as an update after SiteAdvisor is installed was not downloaded on your system. Therefore, the SiteAdvisor version was displayed as '26.6 build 0' in FireFox and as a result no annotations were displayed.

Please follow the steps given in order to get SiteAdvisor working again on FF

1. Close all open FireFox windows and then go to "C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name_that_you_used_to_log-in>\Application Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\<vaguely_named_folder>\". In this folder, please check if a file called 'search.dat' exists. If it does, delete the file.
2. Re-boot your system
3. Open a FireFox window and wait for about 5 minutes and check if 'search.dat' file is present under the location ("C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name_that_you_used_to_log-in>\Application
Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\<vaguely_named_folder>\"). Hopefully, it should get downloaded.

If it is present, then SiteAdvisor should work fine on FireFox

4. If the 'search.dat' file is not present, then Un-install FireFox and reboot the system
5. Goto "C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name_that_you_used_to_log-in>\Application Data\" and delete 'Mozilla' Folder
6. Re-install FireFox
7. Re-install SiteAdvisor and re-boot your system
8. Open FireFox browser window and wait for about 5 minutes. The latest 'search.dat' should have been downloaded to the location mentioned above.

If 'search.dat' is downloaded then the version number should not reflect build number as '0' but instead should be '6256' or greater.

Hopefully this should solve the problem. If you are still experiencing problems please let us know. Thank you for being a McAfee customer

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA
Philbee
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

i have a version number after following your instructions (SA 26.6.6265), but i don't have the annotations when i search google, just empty boxes. this only happens on firefox 3.0 RC1.

any other help is much appreciated.
insomnii
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

What I did was to copy a 'search.dat file from another system where SiteAdvisor is working fine and replace the one in the system having the problematic SiteAdvisor. Viola! Now my SA is OK! Hope this would be of some help to those experiencing the same problems.
barrera
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Where can we get a working search.dat? Can you post it please?
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

The 'search.dat' file is attached as 'search.zip' in post #6. If the SiteAdvisor version is displayed as '26.6 build 0' then put search.dat file in the location "C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name_that_you_used_to_log-in>\Application
Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\<vaguely_named_folder>\" and restart the SAservice or (alternatively restart your system)

Note: All 'search.dat' updates happen automatically.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community