dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 21 of 36

Re: No WebAdvisor on Firefox 39.

Jump to solution

Korgman,

Just so I'm clear:

You say that Firefox doesn't show a SA (WA) toolbar?
- did you check the "Add-ons" menu in Firefox - is the add-on there, and enabled?

You say that IE is fine?

- WebAdvisor has no toolbar in IE (by design, to accommodate changes by MS), but annotations should still work adn WA is configurable via the sub-menu under the Tools menu

You say that WA doesn't show annotations?

- I think I read that you tried settign WA to show annotations for all search engines (as per the FAQ)?

***For everyone***

We've recently changed the default install options for

1) the 14.0 version Windows Security suites (Internet Security, Total Protection, LiveSafe, etc.).  In other words, if you have (or your subscriptions is entiteld to) version 14.0, running on Windows 7 (or newer) and Internet Explorer 9 (or newer), you should get WA while installing the suite. 

2) Similarly, if you want to install the standalone (free) version, just go to www.siteadvisor.com - if the website detects your system as Windows 7 or newer etc., you'll get redirected to the download page for WebAdvisor.

The actual criteria for whether you'll get SiteAdvisor or WebAdvisor from siteadvisor.com are:

You'll get SiteAdvisor if

• Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Internet Explorer version below IE 9 (e.g. IE 😎
  • IE 9  - but access the website using another browser (so the website can't tell which version of IE you have)

You'll get WebAdvisor if

• Windows 7 or newer
  • Internet Explorer 9 and newer
  • access the download using IE 9 and not Firefox or Chrome

HTH

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 22 of 36

Jump to solution

Doug- Thanks for the info.

You say that Firefox doesn't show a SA (WA) toolbar?

- did you check the "Add-ons" menu in Firefox - is the add-on there, and enabled?

Yes, No WA add-ons

So after reading your post, I uninstalled WA via add/remove programs and the went to the website using IE11 not FF and it did indeed take me to the WA stand alone download as you wrote. However, after running the install and reboot as prompted, now neither browser has it. It is no longer in my tools drop down for IE and I don't see it in manage add-ons (list all)

I guess my next option is to do a full suite uninstall (SC14.0.1076), MCPR, then reinstall.

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 23 of 36

Jump to solution

I guess my next option is to do a full suite uninstall (SC14.0.1076), MCPR, then reinstall.

Kerr!!! That brought it back to IE but still no dice with Firefox.I'm about done with this. I guess I'll just continue to trust the NoScript add on.

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 36

Jump to solution

Strange I have FF39 and WA 4.0.0.274 and see the toolbar no problem. Maybe Doug will have an idea

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 36

Jump to solution

That indeed is strange? I was just updated to Web Advisor v4.0.1.120 last night, running Internet Explorer 11. I might add am on Windows7 Sp1 as well.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 26 of 36

Jump to solution

Korgman,

So now you've uninstalled/reinstalled WA, but there's still no entry in Firefox's Add-on list?  This is really odd.  There currently is an issue in which FF doesn't display the toolbar if Firefox is installed *after* WA, but it doens't sound like this is the problem.  My first guess is that you might have a conflicting add-on (doubtful, but possible), especially since you mentioned the noScript add-on.

If it were my system, I would try testing if there was something wrong with my Firefox installation that is blocking WA:

1) temproarily disabling or removing all other add-ons, then try the WA uninstall/reinstall. 

2) If that failed, I'd try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox.

3) if it still wasn't working, I'd do the uninstall/reinstall of WA.

Let us know if this works.

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 27 of 36

Jump to solution

Bingo If that failed, I'd try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox.

Well google me silly. I uninstalled and reinstalled FF and as I was downloading all of my my add-ons I got a prompt to install Web Adviser. I've got it now.

Thanks Doug

It usually doesn't take me this long to figure shit out.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 28 of 36

Jump to solution

🙂

Glad it worked out.

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 36

Jump to solution

Ditto mate

Korgman
Contributor III
Message 30 of 36

Jump to solution

Finicky software.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community