cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 11

New SiteAdvisor blocking message (screenshot)

A while ago I was Googling for occurrences of mchlp32.exe, and one of the results pointed to "https://forums.mcafeehelp.com", which appears to be a mirror of ths site. I clicked on a link in one of the panels on the right-hand side, to go to a current thread. What happened next was unexpected - a new blocking message from SiteAdvisor which I hadn't seen before. The message comes up if I click on any of the links on that page. Has anyone else seen this?

SA new warning.JPG

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Re: New SiteAdvisor blocking message (screenshot)

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect

securely to forums.mcafeehelp.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,

sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are

going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to

this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is

trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

FF 4.01 says this

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

I got that too (in Chrome). If you click on "Go to Site" you land on the site; if you repeat the search and click on the same link a second time you don't get that warning again, you just go straight in. So there must be a cookie setting somewhere to prevent the warning coming up again if you've decided to ignore it.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 11

Ask on Monday call Wonder how many these copies around and how safe they are.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

All hyperlinks posted anywhere in these forums are automatically given an sa-live 'security clearance' hence that may popup occasionally.

For instance if you want to give someone a link from say THIS document you can't simply right click a link and select  'copy link location'.    Take the one for Windows Defender on that page for instance.....

It gives you something like this:  https://sa-live.com/l?v=0&ui=0&p=000c00000000000000000000400000000000&spid=mcafee-forums&url=-+78787...

- you have to actually open the link and copy the URL from the address line.   It's a royal pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned.

Now if you give someone that sa-live URL to click on instead of the actual URL they will get exactly the same windows you posted above.

They then have to click 'Visit Anyway' or do the other thing.

If that other button is leading to the wrong page then make it a subject for our call I guess.

Edit:  Naturally clicking the example I gave doesn't do that....I give up.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/07/11 7:39:17 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

OK here's an example.  I copied and pasted the Hijackthis links from my crib sheet here on these forums over to a post on Neosmart Forums here: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8640&p=66616#post66616

and if you click on them it gives that self-same window, so I had to add an edit to the post to click the 'Visit Anyway' button.   (Stooooooopid Jive and it's so-called security.)

Clicking the other button however takes me to the correct product pages: http://home.mcafee.com/Store/PackageDetail.aspx?pkgid=275&cid=86000

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/07/11 8:59:59 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

By the way that message has been around for a while, it just rarely pops up that's all.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Now, that's interesting. The SiteAdvisor message may not be new, but I've certainly not come across it before.

As for the page you go to if you click on "Get Protection Everywhere" : that is not the page I landed on yesterday when I first encountered this. Possibly someone read the post I made elsewhere and made a quick alteration to the link. Yesterday it was going to a different page with out of date information.

And (since there are two topics in this thread now, and they're getting tangled up) the original post I made referred to "forums.mcafeehelp.com". I believe April was on the look-out for this sort of thing coming up in search results, so I'll let her know I found one of the indirect links to the site.

The message Tony posted in #2, that was displayed by Firefox, appears like this in Chrome :

SSL error.JPG

So, yes, it's an SSL issue. These are not the droids you're looking for 🙂

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

..and who says Jive and/or McAfee never act strangely.......... yes who?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

When you click on that link you gave - http://home.mcafee.com/Store/PackageDetail.aspx?pkgid=275&cid=86000 - what country and currency do you see? For me, it comes up as the UK site, with prices in pounds sterling. The address bar shows the same link you gave, so it looks as if behind the scenes it's worked out where I am and made the appropriate connection. Now, that's clever.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community