cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamKski
Former Member
Message 91 of 106

RE: hmm

We'll, I've removed SA completely from the machines with McSaCore.exe running as a process. All of the other installations in the office with SA have SiteAdv.exe running and are working fine. The effected machines <seem> to have updated to the McSaCore.exe version on their own. If I download the latest version of SA from McAfee.com I get the SiteAdv.exe version, not the one causing the issues.

I suppose I could try re-installing the good version, see if the other one comes back, and then try your fix.

What is the McSaCore.exe version? Is it a newer version that we can expect to find it's way to all of our machines? Does SA update itself? None of the effected users could recall accepting an update to SA before this happened. In fact, one of the users that watched me work on his machine the last couple of days had it reappear this morning. Because of this I simply remove SA altogether until we can pin down what's going on.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 92 of 106

hmm

I must thank you for replying in detail and I feel really comfortable working with you since you seem to be incharge the machines there ..
Now could you please try this step on any one computer and revert back that will help me understand something on it?

uninstall SA
reboot
locate and delete the SA folder under program files and inside the McAfee folder (under program files).
reboot
then install the SA from Website via IE
reboot
open the IE
click on the arrow near the SA tool bar and then on the About and post the version number..
the new service seems to be from the 2.8 ver (read new version)..

see if this worked on the BATCH file fixed the issue or a combination of both.

thanks a lot for your patience happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 93 of 106

Vinod probably can answer it better but I do know that versions 2.8 and 2.9 have been reported although I personally haven't updated to any of them yet.
From what I've read I would try to stick with the old version until the problems are sorted out.
I'll update the sticky at the top of this section when I hear anything.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 94 of 106

hmm

Peter,

versions 2.8 is underway and If I am correct all those who have opted for the PiP or Product Improvement Program option at the installtion gets the 2.8 pushed Auto...

some very very rare guys get the 2.9 sad ( not me yet)

I believe the best person here is the ever helpful Praveen Rajaretnam who once send me a detailed email on how the 2.9 ver is obtained when I was bamboozled on how that happened when only 2.6 was live.

Note: I am current on 2.8 on FF and IE..
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 95 of 106

Thanks. I'm hoping Praveen will look in here soon.

I opted for the PiP.....oh dear...I'm doomed...LOL !!
AdamKski
Former Member
Message 96 of 106

I re-installed SA and the version number is 2.6.0.6261. This version has the working service of SiteAdv.exe.

I clicked the 'update' button and it tells me I'm running the latest version.

This is the same machine that 'updated' to the broken version some time over night. If/when it does this again I'll record the new version number and try the patch you supplied.

Thanks!

Adam
IT Director
www.mka.com
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 97 of 106

hmm

Now I believe you must have deleted those folders after the removal and prior to the installation..
if you have done that you must get the 2.8 very soon..unless the SA team has decided to stop or minimize its throttling ....

I am still surprised as to why I am not having issues..
care to post the version number and details on the Outlook and any other relevant data that can be posted on this public forum?

I believe a SA expert like Praveen will find that data really useful.

Also the name of the folder inside the siteadvisor folder located under Program files..Please (it must be numbers lik 6120 or 6123 etc....)
Its based on those numbers that guys like praveen find the exact version nad build details faster
AdamKski
Former Member
Message 98 of 106

The user was on Outlook 2003, we upgraded him to 2007 to see if that cured it. It did not. He also had <some> issues with web pages, like the MS defended download page. The downloads would not start with McSaCore.exe running. Dialogs would come up empty. Save-as dialog boxes were also coming up blank.

With 2.6 there is no McAfee or Site Advisor forlder??
Acadia
Former Member
Message 99 of 106

... as a side note ... the problems that I am having with SiteAdvisor 2.8.255 is on a pc at work. At home, however, no problems, why? Because at home I have an excellent HIPS program installed that will not allow ANYTHING installing without my permission. Four times, so far, it has prevented SiteAdvisor from updating ... good ole HIPS!

Acadia
AdamKski
Former Member
Message 100 of 106

Didn't work

The SA update came this morning. McSaCore.exe is now running. The SA 'about' dialog in IE now shows version 2.8.255. I ran the supplied batch file and Outlook still comes up with blank message windows when emails are opened.

I removed SA and all is well again.....

Any other ideas?

Adam
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community