Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PVTele
Former Member
Message 71 of 106

Hope at last?

Thanks, lazydogmot! You might have cracked it. 🙂

I wonder if I'm reading this correctly - the v. 2.8 Firefox extension is pushed by the IE add-on? The other week I uninstalled the IE add-on, but didn't think to re-download the Firefox extension.

Now I have, and it's 2.6.6 (given as 26.6 in the add-ons window) and behaving perfectly. Now, maybe all I have to do is refuse any offers to "update" (wreck) it? Fingers crossed!

Let's see how we get on - I rarely if ever use IE7 - I have IETab installed, and also Maxthon 2.1 for the times I need to use a Trident-based browser more intensively.
lazydogmot
Contributor
Message 72 of 106

Could be

Hello PVTele
Yes, I think that's the way it happened. By installing 2.8 for IE, it also bumped 2.6 from Firefox and installed there too. The other nice thing is that 2.6 is a much smaller add-on.
Same here, I rarely use IE but I thought it would be nice to have SiteAdvisor on it when I saw it. Boy, was I wrong!
Tom
PVTele
Former Member
Message 73 of 106

RE: Could be

Thanks Tom...

It really does look increasingly as though the McAfee dev. team have simply got themselves in a tangle, rather than acting with any malign intent. Hope somebody, somewhere, may learn from all this...

Mike
lazydogmot
Contributor
Message 74 of 106

You can have both

Hi
I understand that if you disable v2.8 in Firefox you can then download and install v26.6 in Firefox and enable just it. That way you can have v2.8 still working in IE.
Tom
PVTele
Former Member
Message 75 of 106

RE: You can have both

Really? And SA 2.8 for IE will let the FF extension 2.6 alone since it's already installed the 2.8 one? Cunning grin
Penfolduk01
Former Member
Message 76 of 106

My experience of this issue is this:

You can uninstall Site Advisor.
If you reinstall from the McAffee website, it installs the 2.6 version.
After a day or two it attempts to install 2.8 completely automatically.
If you don't have software such as Spybot S&D and Zonealarm firewall, you are not make aware that any update is taking place, let alone be asked whether you want it or not.

Which is somewhat impolite.

And unproductive in my case. I suddenly got messages from Spybot and Zonealarm about attempted registry changes and programs trying to access the internet. If I'm not expecting an install I treat anything like that as an attempted browser hijack, and block it as best I can.
I've decided to uninstall SA until such a time McAffee builds in something to warn it's software is updating. Even if it doesn't give you the option to decline the install.

As it stands, SA is behaving like some of the spyware it's trying to help you to avoid.
PVTele
Former Member
Message 77 of 106

Penfolduk, are you referring to SiteAdvisor for Internet Explorer, or the Firefox extension? (If the latter, do you have the IE version installed as well?)

Either way, I agree about the bad manners!
Penfolduk01
Former Member
Message 78 of 106

I had both installed, although I prefer using Firefox.
I wasn't in the mood for mucking around trying to work out what combination of events and installs would work. So I just uninstalled it from both Firefox and IE.
PVTele
Former Member
Message 79 of 106

I know how you feel :confused:

The only reason I asked was that it rather looks as if the heinous update process works through the IE version, and, if lazydogmot and I are right, the 2.6.6 Firefox extension should be OK, and proof against underhand incursions, since the update would then have to take place through the usual Firefox extension update process, and could thence be refused. Only time will tell, I guess, if we're right.

McAfee, if you're listening, the sneaky IE update route is plain rude, not to mention condescending and slightly sleazy. Stop it, right now!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 80 of 106

Well I'm listening at least, and I do pass everything back that I read. I hope someone form McAfee will see this. It's only a bit more sneaky than other McAfee application updates.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community