Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 41 of 106

RE: More on the SA button

A thought occurred...

I haven't time to try this right now but with Firefox one can create a new toolbar and drag and drop things to it (according to their help section anyway)...I wonder if that would help any?
hake
Former Member
Message 42 of 106

RE: Forced Update?

I would like to know which module of SA 6261 is responsible for updates. What I am asking is how do I block the attempt to discover if a new update is available?

What is the name of the host which the updater communicates with? Which port is used?

I want to keep my 6261 and would like to use this information to make my Agnitum Outpost firewall block the communications used for the update process.

Regarding Firefox, the new Site Advisor is quite immovable and is not at all amenable to the Firefox toolbar drag and drop feature.

My signature (below) will be very relevant if new Site Advisors do not continue to behave at least as well as 6261. The umpire's finger will be raised.
PVTele
Former Member
Message 43 of 106

Yes, immutable it is! I'm told it's a "feature" of the XUL interface which makes Firefox such a good cross-platform app., rather than the native Windows API. You can see what's possible in the latter if you look at the excellent interface of say, Maxthon 2.1, which is of course a Trident V-based browser like IE7.

There is a Gecko browser that uses the windows API, K-Meleon, but it's a quirky as its name, and very fiddly to customise wink
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 44 of 106

RE: Forced Update?

I just got another email from Geoff at SA...

Sorry, that workaround is only for IE. We are working on a fix for both IE and FF.

They are working on it.

I would like to know which module of SA 6261 is responsible for updates. What I am asking is how do I block the attempt to discover if a new update is available?

What is the name of the host which the updater communicates with? Which port is used?

They wouldn't even give me that information so I'm not going to ask. I would imagine it uses the same process as McAfee Security Center in general and blocking it would block all McAfee.
PVTele
Former Member
Message 45 of 106

"with Firefox one can create a new toolbar" - true enough, but you're still left with a toolbar you didn't want, and the actual web content squished down by Firefox's already hefty "top-hamper" sad
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 46 of 106

Yes, I realised that when I took a few moments to experiment.
admin
Former Member
Message 47 of 106

I have a speculation about preventing updates of SiteAdvisor: I recently installed version 2.6, downloaded from the McAfee site and this has not updated (yet?). I noticed that version 2.6 now starts the SAservice.exe executable at startup. Since I am personally very opposed to unauthorized services running without at least some explanation, I reset this service to "manual" instead of the default "automatic". Somewhat to my surprise, the SA plugins in both IE7 and FF3.0.1 continue to work flawlessly (as far as I can see), but I have not yet seen an update. I stumbled upon this forum in a search for the reason there is an SA service... maybe the reason is to supply updates.

My own reaction is simple: if updates are forced on me that make the kinds of changes described in this thread, I will abandon SA altogether and use something else.
carocuth
Former Member
Message 48 of 106

I don't know what magic is involved in "..place the SA button to the left of other toolbars instead of to the right"...mine isn't going anywhere. Actually, that's not exactly true: last time I opened my browser, the SA toolbar opened ABOVE the Google toolbar, rather than its customary habitat below it. I await further word with bated breath....:p
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 49 of 106

Follow this sticky, I'll update it whenever there's news: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222521
carocuth
Former Member
Message 50 of 106

I followed the instructions you posted, but....as soon as I "locked" the toolbar, SA powered right through with its own toolbar, happily nestled between the IE browser and the Google toolbar. This actually wouldn't be a good solution for me, anyway, as I would need to keep the IE toolbar open and what I am trying to do is to save, or least maintain a minimum, of desktop real estate. Right now I am looking at 5 bands/bars of information, which takes up an estimated 1/5 of my screen.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community