Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 106

RE: More weird behaviour

If it's stuck at grey then you'll have to remove via Control Panel/Add or Remove (XP) Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista). If not listed separately then use the McAfee Security Center item and select only SA for removal. Reboot and try a reinstall.

2.8 has apparently a complete new code base and unfortunately the ability to move the icon/merge with other toolbars was removed. They promise us that they are fully aware of your (& others) displeasure at that...!! They hope to reintroduce the feature in a later version, whether or not that would be as an update, I don't know at this stage.

When I know what is happening for sure I'll probably post a sticky about the issue.

Meanwhile I still haven't been able to get it here.
PVTele
Former Member
Message 32 of 106

I managed to get rid of my Firefox extension (the uninstall button for SA is greyed-out) by using Revo Uninstaller. (Google if you need a link - I'm not promoting it!) In the uninstall list in Revo there's an entry for SA, which is I take it the IE add-on, but when you run Revo it not only runs the program uninstaller, but searches for related registry entries and files and folders. Accept its offer to delete these, and it will pull SA out of your Firefox profile by the roots - rather satisfying, considering its recent behaviour! grin
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 106

rather satisfying, considering its recent behaviour! 😄

ahem....quite....!!!!:p;)
Jonno52
Former Member
Message 34 of 106

More on the SA button

Thanks PvTele. On my system Revo rooted out all SA (free version) instances & registry entries, from IE7 & Firefox. Being a glutton for punishment, I reinstalled an old verson of free SA from last year, as an experiment. Assumed only IE would pick it up, but it installed itself in Firefox, too, without going to "Add-ons". Whatever. Anyway, right now the SA button has quietly installed in the right places, in both browsers, just as before all this started. Will be interesting to see how long it stays that way.

My first use of Revo uninstaller was this business: great app, tho maybe some care needed with it.

John
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 106

RE: More on the SA button

Let's hope it doesn't update.....:confused:
carocuth
Former Member
Message 36 of 106

I continue to follow this thread with interest. So far, I certainly have received no response whatsoever to my feedback form to McAfee...as far as Revo goes..."tho maybe some care needed with it." That would rule ME out :eek:
PVTele
Former Member
Message 37 of 106

You'll be all right, carocuth, just using it on SA.

You just need to remember NOT to use it day-to-day as a replacement for Add & Remove Programs. If you were to decide to reinstall Firefox, for instance, and you used Revo, you'd be faced with a clean slate: no bookmarks, no cookies, no extensions or themes, no nothin'. Untrodden, virgin profile. But so long as you remember only to use it when you need a proper clean-up of something that's being a real nuisance, it's a God-send. Saves hours poking around in Application Data looking for pesky traces!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 106

For those of you who still have the 2.8 build, I just want to ensure you that the SA team is actively looking into it.

I just received a message from them....

Allow me to introduce myself. I am the development lead for SiteAdvisor. I have been made aware of the threads regarding the toolbar placement of the new version of SA. I have escalated these threads to management.

As a work around for the problem with placement of the SA toolbar, you can suggest to users to place the SA button to the left of other toolbars instead of to the right. I have attached an example below. (click the thumbnail below)

I cannot make any promises but I can assure you engineering is looking into this issue.

PVTele
Former Member
Message 39 of 106

That would work for IE users. Not for the first time, I regret Firefox's fixed toolbars!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 106

You have a good point, I've never ever tried to move anything around in FF but I now see what you mean. Even the Google Toolbar in FF seems to be immutable, if that's the correct word.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community