cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_32284
Former Member
Message 1 of 106

New SiteAdvisor Being a Pain

Well it looks like the McAfee SiteAdvisor updated itself or something today... looks like it has something to do with McAfee Secure.

Now it takes up a whole line in IE6, while before I could just have it off to the corner of my Google Bar. I tried to move it there, but as soon as I go to lock the toolbar it just moves back to taking up a whole line again.

Also, right clicking used to show "McAfee Site Advisor" while now there is just a checkmark next to nothing.

Any help?
105 Replies
vshura
Former Member
Message 2 of 106

Same problem with Firefox 3

Hi,

Same problem here, both with IE7 and Firefox 3.

In IE7 you can't move it, which is annoying :mad: . If you turn off the toolbar, it does disappear, but then it re-appears every time you restart IE7! What kind of arrogance or incompetance is this from McAfee?

In Firefox 3, it also takes up a full line, which I hate. Previously it was happy to sit on my status bar at the bottom with some other items, but not any more... There's no option to turn off the toolbar either.

Please, McAfee, change this - otherwise I'm going to un-install the programme, much and all as I appreciate it as a great service.

VS.

PS. I'm using IE 7.0.5370.11 and Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP SP2.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 106

RE: Same problem with Firefox 3

I would both fill out a feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html or you can consult with Technical Support Chat who are open 24/7 and it's free. Link at top left of page or in my signature.

I have Siteadvisor installed in both IE7 and Firefox 3 in both XP and Vista and have no problems locking it in position sharing the IE7 Menu bar or the Google toolbar - it shouldn't require a toolbar of its own.
As long as it's on the right-hand side it appears to be quite happy.
I trust that you have unlocked the toolbars when you are trying to move it & relocked them afterwards?

In Firefox is appears on the right of the bottom Status bar (bottom of screen) so not sure what the problem is there.
vshura
Former Member
Message 4 of 106

Nope, that didn't work

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for the pointer to the feedback item. I'll try it out.

I'm confused as to how it doesn't seem to be effecting you. This has only happened in the last day or so, when it seems there was a McAfee update for the Siteadvisor. It did previously sit happily elsewhere before that. Have you tried updating it and then moving it today?

With regards to unlocking the toolbars (in IE7) - I did this, and it worked (I could move the siteadvisor toolbar to share the one of my google toolbar) - but only till I relocked the toolbars, when it magically flew straight back to where it was, taking up a whole toolbar of its own.

Still no luck with moving anything on Firefox. It appears directly under my google toolbar, taking up a whole line/toolbar of its own.

VS.
vshura
Former Member
Message 5 of 106

P.S.

P.S. I'm using SiteAdvisor version 2.8.244, it's the only McAfee product on my pc.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 106

RE: P.S.

You have a version that I don't have...why? I'm totally up to date according to my updater.
(I have Siteadvisor Plus as part of Total Protection).

IE7: 2.6.0.6261
FF3: 26.6 Build 6271

Best fill in that form, someone from SA will then drop in here hopefully. Leave the URL for this thread when you fill it in.

By the way I played around with IE7 and now its on the left of my Google Toolbar but with Firefox it can't be moved anywhere but the bottom status bar, right side.
carocuth
Former Member
Message 7 of 106

Me, too

I am having the same difficulties - using Vista and Google toolbar. I have tried locking the toolbar. I can get rid of the nuisance in one tab, but it reappears with every new tab I open. Whatever the "update" was, it's turning into a real pain. Has a fix/solution been issued yet? This program doesn't seem to have any options. On or Off. I've depended on it for a long time now, but this is trying my patience!! :eek: One other thing; if I turn it off on one tab, it's back on all other tabs I have open, even though I'd turned it off on those previously.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 106

RE: Me, too

Please do as I suggested in post # 3 You would have to disable the add-on completely or uninstall it to get rid of all instances.
LurnerTech
Former Member
Message 9 of 106

Forced Update?

XP Pro SP3, IE6, AMD Athlon XP 2500, 1 Gb RAM

I've never had SA update automatically; always manual dload & install. However, in this case it did a "forced update (?)" while I was working on other files without IE running. My firewall (Sygate PF 5.6.xxx) notified me of it, or I would not have realized it until I opened IE.

Arbitrary defaults are VERY DISAPPOINTING. Also the "About" dialogue will not close. Have to close and restart IE. Suggests this version is still "BUGGY". Is it possible this is a "Beta push" to get a general response to new ideas?

Have already filled out the "Survey". Dumped 2.8.xxx and re-installed 2.6.xxx. But 2 days later the same "forced update". This time a complete manual "uninstall & clean-up" and incremental image.

SA 2.6.xxx is still the latest dload from the website and "Get Latest Version...". Is there any way to BLOCK this update until McAfee gets it cleaned up? Otherwise shopping around may be in order. (TrendMicro?)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 106

RE: Forced Update?

I don't know why you are getting this as it isn't happening here. See the attached thumbnails for my IE7 and FF3 versions.

I can only suggest that you both fill in the feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html and contact Technical Support linked at the top left of the page or in my signature.

Did you have beta products installed?

The only other thing that I can suggest is the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you may have.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community