Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 1 of 2

New SiteAdvisor 2.8/2.9 Issues + New Yahoo SearchScan Beta

A new version of SiteAdvisor, 2.8 is slowly being released.

It is based on a totally new code and behaves differently than previous versions in that it appears to want its own toolbar and refuses to stay where you put it in Internet Explorer and wont move in Firefox.

The developers at McAfee are fully aware that this is a problem, especially for people already using extra toolbars, and are working on a fix.

A temporary workaround for IE users is to fix the position of the icon to the left of the toolbars instead of the right as shown in the attached thumbnail.

For IE, you can move the SA toolbar to join another toolbar. To do this,

1)Right-click on a blank space in the toolbar
2)Click on Lock Toolbars to disable the lock
3)Grab the extreme left side of the icon
4)Drag the icon to the LEFT side of Menu Bar, and make adjustments as necessary
5)Lock the Toolbars again
6)Test by closing IE and re-open it

Update: Version 2.9 is being released for certain Yahoo customers.

A fix for Firefox users is not possible, although the latest version should adhere to the normal bottom right of the screen location.
To quote a McAfee engineer:

Firefox is pure HTML (think of it as a pdf or a bitmap picture – it’s unchangeable), so there isn’t a way to change the SA toolbar location in FF

Yahoo Search also has a new way of handling SiteAdvisor. See the blog for information. It is in beta so please make allowances for the occasional odd behaviour.

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: New SiteAdvisor 2.8/2.9 Issues + New Yahoo SearchScan Beta

My icon has suddenly moved back to its default Firefox position - bottom right of the screen, it's now at version 2.8.277.

Issues thus far are.......

If I click the down arrow next to the icon in IE7 and click "About" the correct window then appears. Try to dismiss it though and another IE7 page opens addressed sa:close and the SA about window refuses to close. I have to close IE7 in order to proceed with anything. This has only happened intermittently so not sure if it's just my setup or what.

It also reacts badly with a Firefox add-on called "DragNDrop Toolbars" and places all toolbars at the bottom of the screen. Disabling that add-on allows normal behaviour again.

I'll put this all into a Feedback Form
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community