Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luxor2
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

New IP address alert from Firewall protection

Jump to solution

I've received 2alerts that a new LAN IP address was created on my computer and I should mark it as Home or public. I,ve had this computer 5 years with on IP address. The detail shows it as an IPV6 with a 26 character list. Is this dangerous and how do I stop it from occuring?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: New IP address alert from Firewall protection

Jump to solution

No it shouldn't be dangerous as iPV6 is the newest Internet communications protocol and your Internet Service Provider may be upgrading their service.  Your ISP may be able to provide more information to you regarding what is happening there.

If you don't use a Network you can choose not to trust any networks and then you wont see any new popups.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click PC and Home Network Tools

Click Home Network Defense

That screen basically reflects what's showing in your Windows Network and Sharing Center

If you don't want to trust the network simply click on your router or modem in that screen and then click 'Don't Trust Network'

Or if you use a network you can identify whatever it is there and give it a name.

Have you connected any new devices either wirelessly or wired?

If not then you mark them as Intruders there and they will be blocked.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

No it shouldn't be dangerous as iPV6 is the newest Internet communications protocol and your Internet Service Provider may be upgrading their service.  Your ISP may be able to provide more information to you regarding what is happening there.

If you don't use a Network you can choose not to trust any networks and then you wont see any new popups.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click PC and Home Network Tools

Click Home Network Defense

That screen basically reflects what's showing in your Windows Network and Sharing Center

If you don't want to trust the network simply click on your router or modem in that screen and then click 'Don't Trust Network'

Or if you use a network you can identify whatever it is there and give it a name.

Have you connected any new devices either wirelessly or wired?

If not then you mark them as Intruders there and they will be blocked.

luxor2
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Your response helped me to find the attached link from Microsoft on IPV6 which is the transition from IPV4 allowing an unlimited number of IP address.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

That's good.  In my case it would appear that my ISP has yet to climb into the 21st century.

Capture.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community