cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mstahl302
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

My site has been blacklisted please fix!

I realize this thread is rather old (2013), but I'm currently experiencing a blacklisting issue with my website, JMAPC.com.  Both Google and McAffee Threat Intelligence feel it's a risk. 

5 Replies
evaughn
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

Re: My site has been blacklisted please fix!

@mstahl302 Escalations can be sent to sites@mcafee.com or submitted through TrustedSource - Create TrustedSource.org Account.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

For clarity sake I split the thread but unfortunately one of 's responses was lost in the process.

It was asked:

Sorry, my last response when too soon.   What I'd like to know is if Incapsula's obfucated JavaScript was the cause of the problem? 

mstahl302
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Please excuse my somewhat terse question.  I find the web-based editor on this site maddening ... moving on ....

I originally started this thread in order to ask about Incapsula, and whether it's habit of including obfuscated JavaScript could be contributing to why I was on the blacklist. 

My website (jmapc.com) had been hacked about two months ago.  We cleaned up the site.  However, we still found ourselves on several blacklists (Google, McAfee, Fortiguard).  This state persisted for two months, with no idea why we were still on the list.  

As part of the recommended cleanup procedure, we were placed behind Incapsula's CDN. One of the properties of Incapsula's CDN is that it returns a 200 / webpage with JavaScript for every URL (including the formerly infected URL).   The default web page includes OBFUSCATED javascript.  This appears to be benign (it's meant for bot-detection).  However, I was wondering if the obfuscated JS might have been the reason we were not being removed from the blacklists (as was speculated in a previous discussion from 2013: )

This issue is somewhat moot, since yesterday I requested a review from McAfee, Fortiguard and Google.  All three sites have since removed me from the blacklist.  Life is good!

But I'm still curious as to why it took so long to get off the blacklist, and wondering if the obfuscated javascript might be a contributing factor.

Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

I'm no expert in these matters, I'll ask someone who may know

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Obfuscated code is frequently found in malware so yes that may be the reason.

However the site was hacked and subsequently blacklisted so there's no way of telling.

The algorithms for keeping a site blacklisted after a cleanup allow for an extended period before a rating gets changed.

(I regret that at the moment personal circumstances do not allow me to undertake investigations in depth - back in 2013 I had more time to do this sort of thing. So any conclusions about the blacklisting of your site are tentative. Still, at least the site ratings got reset, which is good).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community