cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarnia
Contributor III
Message 11 of 20

Re: MozBackup marked as dangerous download

I've checked out IE Internet Options and only 'Internet' and 'Restricted Sites' are checked, it's late here so will follow this through tomorrow and uncheck 'Internet' to see if that resolves matters. Couldn't find anything in Firefox Options called Protective Mode. (using Fx 19.0.2 and want to update it which is why I wanted to install MozBackup)

Thanks for your input, I'll report back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 20

The easiest fix in IE is to open Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, OK any prompt.

Then close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 13 of 20

Morning Peter & sarnia,

Just a follow-up note here.  I used both Firefox and IE10 respectively, to download the "Install version" of the Mozbackup file.  I overode the McAfee red warnings about the download in order to proceed.  I then ran a few checks on the file with my AV, MBAM Pro, & SAS.  No malware issues were found.  Also checked the site URL and IP address through several scanners...again, nothing adverse was noted.  The one odd issue I encountered with checking the file/URL through urlquery, is that after waiting 30 minutes, urlquery was still "processing", and never would display any kind of report.

Normally (for me) urlquery only takes between 4 - 8 minutes to complete processing and generate a report.

At this point, I'm out of ideas as to what is causing the SA warning issue.  Sorry I haven't been able to be of much help on this one.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 10/26/13 8:40:53 AM EDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 20

It just dawned on me....I was using the Sourceforge downloads.   Yes I get a red warning for the jasnapaka.com one.

Best approach TrustedSource for the quickest results - one of the URL's submitted should be the download one:

• 1)      Browse to https://www.trustedsource.org/en/feedback/url
  • 2)      Recommended for website owners or anyone else who wants to be updated on the request status:  Create an Account and then Login
  • 3)      Click on “Check Single URL” (since most re-evaluation requests would be for a single URL)
  • 4)      Select the Product you are using – in our case choose “McAfee SiteAdvisor”
  • 5)      Type in the URL you want to check
  • 6)      Click “Check URL”
  • 7)      Optional:  Choose up to 3 categories from the drop-down “Optional categorization suggestion:”
  • 😎      Optional:  Leave an “Optional comment”
  • 9)      Click “Submit URL for Review”
  • 10)   If you created an Account (and logged in with it), a Ticket ID will be displayed, along with 3 options on when you will receive email (when the ticket is Open, Reviewed, or Closed)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/10/13 9:04:41 EDT AM
sarnia
Contributor III
Message 15 of 20

Thanks spc3rd & Peter

Rather busy at the moment so will perhaps try TrustedSource later. But if spc3rd downloaded without any issues I'm wandering if it's ok to just do the same!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 20

I think it's OK.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 17 of 20

Right then, deep breath, I'll give it a try when I've time to cope with any problems! will let you know how it goes...creating a Restore Point first though.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 20

Wise move but you could always try the Sourceforge link that doesn't give warnings.   However, I actually downloaded and then right-clicked the downloaded files and scanned, no issues.   I think it's simply a TrustedSource issue which the site owner would have to sort out.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were he.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 19 of 20

I'm flattered that you might think I'm geeky enough to be the site owner!!!! Anyway I had a glass of wine and just went ahead and ignored all the warnings and downloaded ..... it all appears ok and is working as it should so hopefully you'll not be hearing from me on this subject again!!!! A big thanks to you all who tried to help me...a little 'ol lady who knows a little more about computers than her grandchildren realise....it keeps them out of trouble.

Cheers Sarnia x

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 20

LOL. all the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community