cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 11 of 13

RE: Most recent SA update for FF

I'm back with a "somewhat" related question. As of a few days ago, my free standalone version of SA for FF updated it's build from Version 26.6 Build 6258 to Version 26.6 Build 6261. Internet Explorer's version remains at 2.6.0.6253, with the hopes of an improved version with this month's new release.

My "somewhat" related question. The McAfee SA Toolbar for FF has no update option in it's dropdown menu, and I've never once seen where an update was indicated when going to Tools>Add-ons>Find update. It "seems" to update automatically/silently. Is the SAService.exe responsible for checking for the new versions and/or builds? If not, what is?

One of the reasons I ask is because, I have yet to read a clear cut explanation of exactly what the SAService.exe does or what it's for. (AAMOF I've never found any explanation, no less a clear cut one.) Since I've noticed some members disabling the service, with no untoward incidents, I'm especially interested in it's purpose.

If or when I get a response, please keep in mind, I do not have any of McAfee's Security suites. SA was installed in both browsers, as a separate entity in each.

I thank you in advance. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated..
Carol
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 13

26.6 6261 is the Firefox version number and 2.6.0.6253 is the latest IE one. That's OK.

SiteAdvisor is merely what it's name describes an advisor on site safety.

• McAfee SiteAdvisor™ is a security add-on for your Internet Explorer (or Firefox) browser that helps you identify sites that are linked to spyware, adware, spam, viruses, browser-based attacks, phishing, or online fraud.
  • The McAfee SiteAdvisor service is based on a huge database with detailed test results for more than 100,000 pieces of software and covers more than 95% of the world's Web traffic.
  • The program integrates with search engine results from popular search engines and also adds an icon to the browser toolbar that indicates whether a site is safe to use, or should be used with caution.
  • If McAfee SiteAdvisor has negative information for a site, you can review a very detailed report that shows any spam received from that site, harmful downloads, and association with other sites.

Lorac30
Contributor
Message 13 of 13

Thanks, Peter happy
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community