cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaromir86
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Microsoft edge and WebAdvisor compatibility?

Jump to solution

Hello,

so Microsoft Edge finally supports browser extensions. Does it mean that we can expect compatibility of WebAdvisor and Edge browser? Thank you for your answer.

Kind regards

Jaromir

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Re: Microsoft edge and WebAdvisor compatibility?

Jump to solution

I was able to find out that Edge does not support the basic Native Messaging functionality, so I'm told we have to re-write the entire extension to accommodate this limitation in Edge.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

I would hope so You can contact support and ask them and I will try the webadvisor team though my contact is on leave so the answer might be delayed.

Support

jaromir86
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Thank you very much! I will try to ask them as well!

jaromir86
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Well, here is the response from support team:
"

Jaromir, I would like to inform you that McAfee WebAdvisor does not work on Microsoft Edge - the new Internet browser included with Windows 10. This is because Edge does not yet support any browser extensions (also known as browser add-ons). 

NOTE: For security reasons, Intel Security suggests that you use an Internet browser that supports browser extensions. This will enable McAfee WebAdvisor to function and protect you while browsing the web.

Intel Security is actively working with Microsoft to enable web protection in Edge as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, use a web browser that supports extensions. McAfee WebAdvisor will work in:

•Google Chrome - latest version

•Mozilla Firefox - latest version

•Internet Explorer - version 9 and later. NOTE: Even though the default web browser in Windows 10 is Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 also includes Internet Explorer. "

Mmmm...I thought Edge supports extension from Anniversary update of Windows 10. What do you think about it?

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

jaromir86,

The front line Support Agents do not know what product changes are planned for the future, so they would tell what they do know; Edge does not currently support extensions.

I'm curious about where you heard that Edge does support extensions - was this a public announcement from Microsoft?  Did they say they have released a version of Edge that supports (non-Microsoft) extensions, or perhaps that they were working on one?  Did they announce a release date?

Meanwhile, the last I heard is that Edge is still missing critical APIs to support minimum extension functionality, although we *might* see Edge with extension support in January 2017.  I've contacted the WebAdvisor team to confirm my understanding; if there is an update to share, I'll post it here.

jaromir86
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

dougk_t3,

for example here is written about Edge extensions:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/04/edge-anniversary-update/#vcyh9IYhixtDZHzP.97https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/04/edge-anniversary-update/#vcyh9IYhixtDZHzP.97

It's official Microsoft blog. Maybe I just don't undestand it because I am not so good in English but I suppose there is written about extensions which came with Windows 10 anniversary update.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

It supports a limited number of "Edge Extensions" - à la Windows Store I think that article means.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

I was able to find out that Edge does not support the basic Native Messaging functionality, so I'm told we have to re-write the entire extension to accommodate this limitation in Edge.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Thank you Doug...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jaromir86
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Thank you very much! I am looking forward to this extension.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community