Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frodohobbit
Contributor
Message 31 of 40

Re: Mcafee changed google to yahoo?

Jump to solution

This is still an issue. I just uninstalled this useless bloatware software. Windows Security is enough for me.

Kit22
Contributor II
Message 32 of 40

Jump to solution

I have now removed Yahoo! from my search engines list in Chrome, turned off Web Protection, removed the McAfee Web Advisor extension, and rebooted my computer. And you know what? McAfee is still sending my searches to Yahoo!.

I saw on another forum this is because McAfee installed a PUP onto my computer when I turned on Web Protection. As far as I'm concerned, that counts as malware. The undesired effect should not continue even after the thing that enabled the effect is uninstalled.

Now I have to learn how to uninstall a PUP. 

Kit22
Contributor II
Message 33 of 40

Jump to solution

Silva:

This does not work. I don't even have Yahoo! listed anymore in my search engines in Chrome, but it keeps being used anyhow.

Singingbird
Contributor
Message 34 of 40

Jump to solution

Hello, have had the same problem and have tried many options but a guide on how to fix Yahoo redirect solved my headache. Actually, for me worked :

Enter chrome:/settings into the address bar of Chrome.
To access the On startup section, scroll down. Disable any suspicious extensions that may be in control of these settings.
Through these settings, you can also instruct the browser to open a particular page or group of pages. Select this option, type in your preferred URL (such as www.google.com), and then click Add a new page.

also:

Enter chrome:/settings/searchEngines into the address bar of Chrome. SearchEngines, not searchengines, is the correct spelling. Additionally, you can find the Manage search engines option by going to chrome:/settings.
Find the search engine you want to use as default by first looking through the list of search engines. Make Default can be chosen by clicking the three dots next to it.
Last but not least, go through the list and remove any suspicious entries. Remove from the list by selecting with the three dots' right-click menu.

Shirabatya
Contributor
Message 35 of 40

Jump to solution

This is a totally useless response.  Yahoo is useless.  The search results are hopeless.  I tried it and kept getting useless results.  I really gave it a go.  Yahoo is REALLY BAD.  Google actually works. 

So I can use google but then my search isn't secure.  What's the point?

Please provide google secure search or your secure search is not fit for purpose.

Kellege
Contributor
Message 36 of 40

Jump to solution

Why does McAfee have to use manipulative ways of trying to get you to purchase their products. Do they think that I would ever use a service from a company that operates this way?

Kellege
Contributor
Message 37 of 40

Jump to solution

Couldn't agree more. It's so frustrating. McAfee uses manipulation tactics to try to get you to use their service. Why would I support someone who conducts business this way?

IDontWantYahoo
Contributor
Message 38 of 40

Jump to solution

Stop hijacking my computer.

There's not a single virus I've experienced that has been more annoying than this absolute scam of an antivirus.

Some Kazakh kid mining bitcoin on my machine is unironically less disruptive than effing McAfree hijacking everything then interrupting my activities to shove ugly ads in my face to buy their overpriced crap.

I will never stop bothering Microsoft until they stop forcing this bloatware onto our machines. 

Stephen99
Contributor
Message 39 of 40

Jump to solution

Dear McAfee, please ensure these forum comments are forwarded to McAfee Executive Managment. Siva, Kumar and other non-U.S. support community monitors who keep repeating themselves appearantly don't understand that in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere, we are fed up with "Just deselect our McAfee web search protection." UNACCEPTABLE.

I, for example, use Google Chrome as my primary browser and DESPISE  that McAfee will change the search engine to Yahoo if I want protected browsing, which is what paid McAfee to have. 

The lame excuse, "only Yahoo has 'agreed' with McAfee is UNACCEPTABLE. If McAfee can't conduct business any better than the circular, frustrating responses from Siva, Kumar, et al, no wonder Google and others would not be motivated to "agree" with McAfee. 

Stated differently, if McAfee wants to step up into the big leagues, then McAfee has to perform better in order to be take more seriously.

How do any of us get a refund?

MRMR
Contributor
Message 40 of 40

Jump to solution

I am going with another security provider who DOES NOT do this. GROSS!

Seriously! Never have I ever had such an annoying glitch as Yahoo always coming back to haunt me as my search engine. (reminders of how stupid McAfee truly is – bye

GROSS! 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community