cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tunnelcat
Former Member
Message 31 of 79

RE: Update about checking with Tech Support

Just to let you guys know, I've got SiteAdvisor version 26.6 and Firefox version 2.0.0.20 running on an older Win 98SE computer. All was working fine up until about a week or two ago, then all the ratings disappeared from Google. I works fine in Yahoo and in the suggested here .l.google.com and in google.ca. The box at the bottom still shows the McAfee bar and the colors when you go to any web site, but the search ratings aren't working anymore. I'm betting that Google is changing something in their servers and causing us grief. This happened a few months back too, but resolved itself about a week later, with this same version I have now.

When this problem happened last year (I think), I upgraded to version 26.6 and it didn't fix the problem then, so I'm not really inclined to upgrade again. If it's broken, why break it worse! Someone at Google needs to get on the ball and work with McAfee because I think the problem's on their end.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 79

RE: Update about checking with Tech Support

I think you must be right - something Google has done to effect it. Hopefully it'll correct itself soon.
LarryJB
Former Member
Message 33 of 79

Another update about McAfee support

I finally got a Tech Support rep who, after suggesting some things himself, passed me on to a tier2 tech. He connected with my computer and, after well over an hour of uninstalling and reinstalling various programs and making setting changes, seemed to have the problem solved. I should have checked things myself before we ended our chat. Unfortunately, the original problem remains, i.e., although I can get the Site Advisor rating icons by using the www.l.google.com workaround, or the Google search box on the Firefox navigation toolbar, or by using the McAfee search box that now appears to the left of the green Site Advisor icon in the lower right corner of the window, I still can't get the rating icons when I simply do a search at www.google.com. At this point, I don't know how to get back in touch with that tier2 tech, and don't have the heart to do so. I'm waving the white flag of surrender and will use a workaround. However, I'll check back to this thread for a few days to see if anyone else had better success than I.
Joolz77
Contributor
Message 34 of 79

RE: Another update about McAfee support

Thanks for reporting on your experiences with Tech Support, LarryJB. Sounds like the best thing to do for now is use the workaround solution (which I am already doing). I'll be checking back in to see if anyone has come up with a solution, too. I also think it must be a problem on Google's end. I wonder if we are all being routed to a Google server that is the source of this problem, as Bill suggested here. That would make more sense as the common factor. Perhaps Google will resolve the issue. In the meantime, at least there is a workaround solution we can use. Thank you all so much for your help!
keithianw
Former Member
Message 35 of 79

www.google.com

Whats wierd is that I find that if I go to the regular google.com and then click advanced (for possible other search criteria), and then search again on the exact same words without retyping anything, then the ratings appear.
LarryJB
Former Member
Message 36 of 79

Re: keithianw's reply

Curiouser and curiouser! Yet another clue. With all the details we forum members have provided, one might think that a senior tech could figure out what is going on, if he or she read this thread, that is.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 79

Re: keithianw's reply

Senior techs don't visit these forums. Tech Support Chat are supposed to relay their findings to them & get their ideas to help you guys from them.
Likewise Senior techs deal with the feedback forms too. Feedback form HERE.
Hint: don't use the Support option in the drop-down menu for "Type Of Enquiry" as it will lead you back here, use "Other" or "Report An Error".

From another poster's observation, not sure where now as there are so many, that this has happened in the past it appears that it is due to some change that Google has made. The last time it happened it was corrected within a few days.
LarryJB
Former Member
Message 38 of 79

Hi Ex_Brit

I'm not too savvy about such things, but I didn't expect that senior techs would be spending their time poking around forum threads. However, when talking to the techs about this issue, I did put on a big song and dance about how there were a lot of details in this particular thread that might be of diagnostic value.

Regarding feedback forms, did you mean to say that senior techs don't typically deal with feedback forms?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 39 of 79

RE: Hi Ex_Brit

I didn't say that. The Site Advisor team reads the feedback forms...they are, I'm assuming, senior techs.
tunnelcat
Former Member
Message 40 of 79

RE: www.google.com

That works with my SiteAdvisor version 26.6 as well. Curiouser and curiouser! Looks like a google.com problem with all the people that are having the same problem and the fact it comes and goes as well with different versions, although it's still broken today. Thanks to all the people here for the workarounds. Now if we could just get google to pony up a fix......
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community