cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billseymour
Former Member
Message 11 of 79

RE: Mcafee Site Advisor problem, Why is this Happening Now?

Joolz-
Use the l.google.com Google search page for now, as I learned from another thread; you can still search Google with SA present this way.

Another oddity: In the Firefox bar at the top of the browser, where you can select from various search engines, THIS Google search box results in a search where SA is present. (Which is strange, but there you go!) So that is another way to continue to use Google search with SA working.

--Bill
Joolz77
Contributor
Message 12 of 79

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. These are good work-around solutions.
Jordan_L
Contributor
Message 13 of 79

It has been a while now and the original www.google.com is still not working with Mcafee Site Advisor (no site ratings), and I was just curious if there will be a possible fix? It is a great add-on and I'm thankful that Mcafee provides it. I just wish it worked with one of the most widely used search engines. Like I stated in my opening post of this thread, if anyone else is having this issue, use www.l.google.com as an alternative until the cause of this problem is resolved.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 79

Try Technical Support Chat as noone here can reproduce the problem. It works perfectly well for me, I just checked it yet again.
LarryJB
Former Member
Message 15 of 79

I'm having the same problem

I submitted the following reply a few minutes ago to the thread started by XMason386, on April 3. Then I noticed this thread and thought I'd post here, too. Thanks, Jordan_L, for the workaround. Still, it would be nice to know if there is a fix.

"Thought I'd add my two cents. On April 23, 2009, I posted the following on Mozilla's Firefox forum: "Until a few days ago, the rating icons appeared beside each Google search result, and now they don't. I am using Firefox 3.0.9 with McAfee SiteAdvisor extension 2.9. I'm running Windows XP SP2. Any help getting back the icons would be greatly appreciated." I've not had any replies.

Today I again did a Google search about this problem and found this thread. I also found a thread on the Mozilla Firefox (Netherlands) forum from someone experiencing the same problem.

When I first encountered the problem, I took the same steps as XMason386 and got the same (negative) results. Like Joolz77, I, too, am curious about why there have not been more posts about this. Solutions would be nice, too. "
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 79

RE: I'm having the same problem

I'm asking the question on our Conference Call in a few moments time. Will post what is said.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 79

I've been told to ask...
1. Is this on Firefox 3.0.9 or even 3.0.10 that has just been released today?
2. Is this the latest SiteAdvisor ? (2.9.258)
3. Have you checked to see if SA is enabled in Tools/Manage Add-ons?
4. Is it working using a Google search in IE?
5. What OS/Service Pack is this?
6. Are the search icons totally missing or just grey, & is the toolbar icon still there when this occurs?
Joolz77
Contributor
Message 18 of 79

I've answered these questions below in blue. Hope this helps!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 79

OK for starters your husband's PC is extremely unsafe and no longer supported by Microsoft. Please update it to SP3 a.s.a.p. as it is missing many (possibly hundreds) updates.
There is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

Your machine is also behind the times and should be at SP1 (SP2 is to be released later this year) and there is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220206

So this issue may be closely related to that. Also make sure that both machines have Windows Update set to update via Microsoft updates for all components using the custom button in XP, just another setting in Vista.

Make sure that peripherals are all up to date too such as Java, Adobe Flash and Shockwave players etc and uninstall any older ones.
Joolz77
Contributor
Message 20 of 79

It may be related, but I note that there are others here whose updates are more current who are still reporting this same problem. I know we are behind on updates. We moved and it has taken us a long time to get the office set up, and there have been other things assorted with the move that have demanded our time. Updates are happening, but slowly, so that if an update messes up one of our computers, I will know which one it is. I had that happen with XP on my old computer and it was a real mess to get straightened out. It never did work right after that, so I'm wary of doing updates en masse. I thank you for your advice in this regard, but it is happening as time permits.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community