cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmorse
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

McSACore.exe using 50% of my CPU??

:confused: Is it supposed to take up that much of my CPU? I'm using Windows Vista and Until recently, my CPU would run at zero or maybe 2% when idle, even with the sidebar running with clock and pictures. I thought I had some kind of spyware or malware! Then to find out it's supposed to be there. But why should it run when the internet is not? With all this CPU usage, it's getting maxed out all the time and hanging and slowing things down. :mad: So anyway, is it supposed to be this cumbersome? Maybe will there be an update that will fix this? I guess you can tell I'm pretty annoyed.:(
16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

RE: McSACore.exe using 50% of my CPU??

It shouldn't be happening. Click the space just to the right of the icon and ensure that Protected Mode is off using the drop-down menu.

Try this as McAfee uses Internet Explorer by default regardless of your settings.

Go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, OK any prompts and click Apply and OK.
Close and reopen IE
Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons.

See if that helps.
richhike
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

mcsacore.exe using excessive cpu

I am running Vista Ultimate and 2 days ago siteadvisor suddenly started using an unusual amount of cpu (30% on my very robust machine). It doesn't make any difference whether IE is active or not. I do know that I had installed several Vista Updates from Microsoft and also noted that McAfee had also been undated at about the same time. I have done the procedure outlined by Ex_Brit, but the cpu consumption by mcsacore.exe remains at the same level. Is there a bug in McAfee code or should I be barking up the Microsoft tree about this?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 17

RE: mcsacore.exe using excessive cpu

Can you both tell me what version of SA this is please? Click just to the right-of the icon and select About.

It's possible the new version 3 has reached you and I don't know too much about it's issues as it was hitherto only available with the beta products.
I do have it on my beta test rig but don't have this high usage issue.

You can probably get better answers than I can give by going the Technical Support Chat route - link at top left of the page, or even by using the SA Feedback Form: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html or email [EMAIL="support@siteadvisor.com"]support@siteadvisor.com .
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 17

Another suggestion....

Try uninstalling it , rebooting and then reinstalling.

If it's not listed in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program then click the McAfee Security System item and then select only it for removal.

Download it here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html or if SiteAdvisor Plus get it from your account using the Customize install option.
richhike
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

It is version 3.0 of siteadvisor
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 17

As I suspected. It's being slowly released. Try the fixes above or contact them as I suggested.
pmorse
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

I figured it out, just uncheck the SI toolbar, under tools.

I uninstalled it, restarted, then reinstalled it, as you suggested. I thought "Hey it worked" because the CPU was back to zero. But then I realized I had to turn on the toolbar. Up went the usage. So I closed out of IE to see if that would do it, and it stayed up at 50% as before. Well I started to get disappointed, but then I thought "What if I turn off the toolbar again?" That does it. As I type this the CPU is at 3%. Now when I want to surf all I have to do is turn on the toolbar. That'll work fine until there may be an update that will fix it.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

RE: I figured it out, just uncheck the SI toolbar, under tools.

I have SA 3 in my Windows 7 rig and it isn't causing that so it could be reacting to some other add-on perhaps?

As I said you could contact them as above or Technical Support via the top left link on this page.
kramretsel75
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

RE: I figured it out, just uncheck the SI toolbar, under tools.

hi,

i'm having this kind of siteadvisor problem as well, it spikes the cpu usage to 50% whenever i'm surfing the net using IE,Firefox and Chrome..when my cpu usage is high i hear the cpu fan working double time (become noisy) so what i do is to suspend/stop it's service/process then the cpu usage drops down..

any solution to fix the cpu usage spiking?

thanks in advance..
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community