Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 1 of 14

McAfee unable to update, though MS shows it is a Trusted Site (Publisher) Win 7

Jump to solution

Ok... I no longer see how this is possible.  I have Win 7, IE9, and McAfee is unable to update DAT files.  I have McAfee/McAgent.exe as Trusted, yet I constantly get "Your Computer is At Risk.  Eventually MS Action Center has a Red X stating that Spyware and Virus Protection need updating.  Once I go through Action Center and advise that the "Publisher" is trusted, then McAfee is allowed to update.  What is missing on the Trusted Site List that will not automatically let McAfee update without having to go through MS Action Center?

Greatly appreciate your help....Thank you.....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 11 of 14

Re: McAfee unable to update, though MS shows it is a Trusted Site (Publisher) Win 7

Jump to solution

Thank you again Peter.  I have contacted support and chatted with Rajesh. Remotely he performed an entire cleanup.  We uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee.  i will not be able to state that it now works, untill tomorrow's update.  (There must have been some updates for IE9, as i did a complete uninstall/resinstall a month ago for Site Advisor).  So in order to close this ticket, i will need to check the status  on 5/5/11.  i will post the results as necessary.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: McAfee unable to update, though MS shows it is a Trusted Site (Publisher) Win 7

Jump to solution

The McAfee interface relies on IE being set to its default settings and I suspect you have yours set to something a lot more restrictive.

Go to IE9 Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK and say OK to any UAC prompts.

Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need as the previous action disables them all.

Try your updates again.

If this fails then I would need to know what other security applications you have installed and how you are connecting to the internet.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/11 3:52:59 EDT PM
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.  I will try your suggestion(s).  At this time, the next update occurs at 6PM CDT, so I will not have a reult until after that timeframe.  I will post if any difference occurs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

The updates don't occur at any given time in particular, rather when and if needed.   Are we talking the home product here?

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

Yes....this is the Home Product provided by ATT Internet Security Suite.  My last update was at 1:52 PM CDT and shows Next Update at 6:02 PM CDT. (Personal Home Page under Updates.)  Does this make sense?

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

Hmmmmm.....Now this really does not make sense.  McAfee states next update at 6:02 PM CDT.  However it is trying to update NOW at 3:42 PM CDT.  Why?  I had previously followed your instructions as above, and I am still getting the same result "Your computer is at Risk." in RED.  MS Action Center is also telling me to update.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

Ah, I see what you are looking at....

Capture.JPG

That is the last time the SecurityCenter polled the update servers, and the next attempt will be at......whatever, 8.35pm EDT in my case.

SecurityCenter polls every few hours for updates and when it finds some it downloads them, provided updates are set to automatic of course

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

yowza1 wrote:

Hmmmmm.....Now this really does not make sense.  McAfee states next update at 6:02 PM CDT.  However it is trying to update NOW at 3:42 PM CDT.  Why?  I had previously followed your instructions as above, and I am still getting the same result "Your computer is at Risk." in RED.  MS Action Center is also telling me to update.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help....

Run McAfee Virtusl Technician http://mvt.mcafee.com/ and see what it says, also check thyat your system clock is accurate both time and timezone-wise.

Ooops had to edit the link, refresh the page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/11 5:15:23 EDT PM
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your response....  I ran Virtual Technician and it concurs with what I have been continually getting DAT /Engine update.  This means that I need to go to MS Action Center and allow the "publisher" to update Spyware and Anti-Virus definitions.  This is the only way I can get an "OK, you are fully protected."  I do not have any other errors according to Virtual Technician.  As long as I update "manually" the error goes away.  I guess, is there any other way not to have to update manually ever time I get "Your Computer is at Risk?"

Thanks again....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

I'm at a total loss here as to why the Action Center is even figuring in this conversation as all these processes should automatically be allowed by Windows.  Obviously you have some very unusual settings, somewhere, but where?

If it's a desperate situation and you have to get the latest update now then read here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

Maybe you should try Technical Support Online Chat linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/11 6:16:59 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community