Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgowers
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

McAfee site advisor pop up problem

Hi

I have been having the attached pop up kepp appearing for the past day now and nothing happens no matter which option I choose. Site advisor won't turn on on internet explorer and when the pop up comes it makes it so internet explorer is unusable (takes 20secs to load anything once I click anything.) My internet connection is also fine and I have done both quick and full virus scan and nothing has come up. Have also used virtual technician but problem not solved. Also have found the process for it is saUI.exe*32.
I would very much appreciate any help thanks

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: McAfee site advisor pop up problem

It should happen once only after SiteAdvisor, or your browser, have updated.  I usually uncheck that option and click Done and don't see it again until an update comes in the next time.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix any problems:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

bobvmcc
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

This pop up keeps happening every minute or so.  I had previously gone into the Site Advisor toolbar options and disabled secure search, but while it seemed to work for a few hours , now the message keeps re-occurring.   I keep de-selecting it, and clicking done, but lo and behold there it is again a minute later. I disabled the BHO and toolbar in the Manage Add-ons function of IE, and it still keeps coming up.  Finally I had to remove Secure Search from my Search tool options.

This function sucks!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I get it every time Chrome updates. Unchecking the box and clicking Done sends it away until the next Chrome update. I've never seen it come up more than once.  Although you refer to IE as your browser do you have Chrome installed?

Perhaps removing Secure Search from the search list is the only way to shut it up. I haven't tried that yet.

bobvmcc
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Yes I also have Chrome installed, but rarely use it.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hmm. I can't help feeling there's a connection between this Secure Search nag and Chrome, even if you're not using it much. You'll have GoogleUpdate on your machine and if you check in the Task Scheduler you'll see it checks for a new version of Chrome at frequent intervals. The Chrome update is automatic, and happens silently in the background so you probably wouldn't even be aware of it. New version, another nag.

Why they do this is a mystery to me. Secure Search ought to be there as an option if you want it, but they're trying to force you into it. I can't see the point of the nag box, all it does is annoy people.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 17/06/14 22:35:52 IST
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

bobvmcc,

I've discussed this issue with the SiteAdvisor Developers, and they believe they've tracked down the cause.  They are working on a fix this week and hope to have it available 'soon' (it could be delayed if any problems come up in testing, although that is unlikely).  Meanwhile, they tell me that a reboot (not hiberate/suspend) should resolve the problem for you.

HTH

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community