cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SirMaru
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee shows TreasuryDirect site with an invalid certificate

I tried to access the Treasury Direct site and got an invalid certificate warning.  How do I fix this problem?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee shows TreasuryDirect site with an invalid certificate

I moved this to SiteAdvisor as possibly the best spot for it, although this could easily be your browser doing that.  Can you post a screenshot please, also the URL for the website?

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

I was thinking the same thing? For when I searched (Internet Explorer 11)  Site Advisor or Smart Screen Filter never prompted me.

All sites for the above mentioned were rated (Safe) with one (Under Construction)?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

It's not SiteAdvisor which checks a site's digital certificate but your browser.

Sometimes a certificate problem will lead to a site failing to load in the browser; sometimes you just get a dialog window asking if you want to proceed even though the identity of the site cannot be verified.

If a browser warns about a website because of a problem with the site's certificate then you have two options : either you override the warning and proceed to the site or you back off. It all depends on how serious are the potential risks involved in going to that particular website. For instance, if the browser warning says that your online banking website has a digital certificate which was not issued to the bank then I would say you should exit, fast. If it's a site you go to just to browse, it might be okay to ignore a warning like that.

If the certificate warning blocks access to the site altogether (which it might in Firefox, for instance) you can modify some of the browser settings to turn off that sort of warning. Me, I see those warnings and I respect them. I'm not going to compromise my browser security just because a site owner can't be bothered to make sure his site's digital security certificate is valid and up to date.

All this is generic advice about certificate warnings. I'd need to see a screenshot of any actual warning to see which browser was issuing it and what it meant.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community