cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dogs
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee product activation sign keeps appearing after 6 months with no problems

I am having trouble with my McAfee Internet Security product (2008) and don't know why. I installed it at the end of July 2008 and of course activated it whilst registering. Everything went fine. Now, 6 months later, I get a "please activate your product" alert each time I turn on my computer. It says that McAfee is unable to download updates but so far it downloads updates like it has done for the past six months. The sudden appearance of the alert seems to have followed the updates on 30th January 2009 of the latest version of SiteAdvisor (version 2.9) and the latest version of Anti-Spam (version 10.0) but which one of these is the culprit I have no way of knowing.

I keep clicking the "activate" option on the alert which comes up but nothing ever happens - I am never prompted to connect to the Internet to activate it and even when I am already on the Internet the alert disappears when I click "activate" option and nothing happens. So I am unable to activate my product and I would be very grateful if you could tell me what is going on and what I should do. I know that if you don't activate your new product within 15 days then it is unable to install updates or perform scans of your computer - will the same now happen with my product even though I've had it for 6 months with no problems?
9 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: McAfee product activation sign keeps appearing after 6 months with no problems

Hi,

Please clarify the below:

1. Please specify your computer’s configuration like CPU, Memory and Operating System. To find out that Right Click on My Computer and Click on Properties – You will be able to see all those information under the General Tab.

2. What is the Name of the McAfee program are you using (Ex. McAfee Security, Total Protection. Internet Security Suite)

3. Do you have any other security software (Antivirus or Antispyware programs) installed in the computer (E.g.: Symantec, AVG, Trend Micro, Spybot, Spy blaster etc…)

4. If so you will have to uninstall them and check out the performance

5. Check your computer date and time To find out the correct date and time, you can find the date and time at the right hand side of your computer

6. Right Click on the McAfee Icon which Displays at Right hand Side bottom corner of your computer and click on verify subscription
Dogs
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply. I have done everything you suggested, including verifying my subscription, but it hasn't made any difference. I still get the "Please activate your subscription" alert. I am still unable to make anything happen by clicking the "activate" option on the alert which comes up - you're also supposed to be able to click the "Please activate your subscription" link on the SecurityCenter home page but none of the text here is clickable so that doesn't work either!

My product is called McAfee Internet SecurityCenter 2008 and it does not expire until late July 2009. It's the only security product I've got on my computer.
pnbbolte
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Exact same problem

I thought I was totally loosing my mind, when the popup kept coming up everytime I turned on my laptop. I have a 3 user licenses and there is no problem on my desktop, simply on my laptop. I have not had any problems until a couple of weeks ago. My subacription is good until Nov 2009.
I
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

RE: Exact same problem

Hi,

1. Right-click the M icon and select Open Security Center.

2. From the Basic Menu, select McAfee Virtual Technician under common tasks on the left.
Follow the on screen instructions and complete MVT scan and check out the results for more information & also post the session id.

3.You can also perform this scan from http://mvt.mcafee.com
Tono
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Activate you’re subscription

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem described in this thread. I renewed McFee Total Protection on January and it had been running fine until last week. Now I get this problem. I have tried running the McFee Virtual Technician diagnostic and no problems are reported. But I'm still unable to click the "activate my subscription" link, and when I try updating it puts the pop-up Dogs described. I click it and... nothing happens.

Any advice on what I should do next?
BobNearBerwick
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

RE: Exact same problem

I have the same problem of not being able to activate. It seems to me that somebody has fallen asleep at the switch or they don't care about our problem. I switched from another product because of the good reviews. I am now having second thoughts because of this consistent problem with this software. Is anybody listening. Does anybody care?
Bob
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

RE: Activate you’re subscription

Hi,

Please clarify the below

Please specify your computer’s configuration like CPU, Memory and Operating System. To find out that Right Click on My Computer and Click on Properties – You will be able to see all those information under the General Tab.
Did you made any changes to the computer like system restore?
I suppose you’re account is not properly renewed. I would recommend you to do the complete uninstall/ reinstall McAfee product through the website.
Please follow the KB Articles: Document ID: TS100507

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lang=en_US&prior_tid=18&AnswerID=16777216&tur...
BobNearBerwick
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Why should I have to uninstall/reinstall when you people are supposed to be experts in this field. This is the first time I have used your product and I have never had so much trouble. I am not very computer literate and want stuff simple. Why cant it be.
Bob
karlo
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I agree with you Bob. This has been McAfee's problem for so many years now. I think it started last 2006. Still they're not able to provide solution to it. This is too long sleep for them. It's October now and there's 2009 version, but still same problem occur over and over.

The problem is; the software doesn't even try to connect to the internet when subscription expires. I watched my network traffic when I try to activate my subscription, not a single bit of traffic went on. Even if you disconnect your network connectivity and try to activate, software won't even know that you are not connected to the internet. May this information help McAfee developers address this problem.

I hope they try to resolve this asap. sad
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community