Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnicholszero
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee is automatically setting my search engine to Secure Search in Chrome

Jump to solution

For no apparent reason, my default search engine keeps being switched from Google (what I actually want) to McAfee Secure Search (powered by Yahoo, which I definitely don't want it to be). I've removed the search engine several times. I've disabled it several times. I don't know how to make the thing go away. I've even gone into All Access and searched for a way to stop the app itself from changing my search engine, but it simply won't stop. This is aggravating and wasting my time. I use Google services across all my devices for a reason, and to have that interrupted by an security app that frankly is currently acting more like malware right now is very annoying. I'm tempted to discontinue using McAfee products and services due to this.

If there's anyone who can tell me how to make this annoyance stop, please, speak up.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

Re: McAfee is automatically setting my search engine to Secure Search in Chrome

Jump to solution

Have you tried going to your Control Panel, Programs and Features/Add/Remove/ your McAfee Web Advisor/Restart. Then re-install Web Advisor and (Dis-allow) Yahoo Safe Search when prompted/or asked?

You can download and install from Here; WebAdvisor Download

Also see;

Make Google your default search provider – Google

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

3 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Moved from Support Forums to McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor) > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Have you tried going to your Control Panel, Programs and Features/Add/Remove/ your McAfee Web Advisor/Restart. Then re-install Web Advisor and (Dis-allow) Yahoo Safe Search when prompted/or asked?

You can download and install from Here; WebAdvisor Download

Also see;

Make Google your default search provider – Google

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

If for some reason you continue to be (Re-Directed) to Yahoo Search, you may have picked up a (Browser Hi-Jacker). I would then recommend you running Malwarebytes AdwCleaner to check and remove. This and other Superb (Free) tools can be obtained here;

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community