cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mslpplm
Former Member
Message 11 of 43

Re: McAfee internet security blocking McAfee siteadvisor!!

Site Advisor version when Internet Security is not Installed: SiteAdvisor 3.65.135.1

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 43

Well not sure what the problem is in that case, but someone else may have some ideas and post here.  The grey icon is usually caused by server latency and clears up by itself eventually.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 43

Using Internet Explorer 11 and all is fine. As Ex_Brit said...it could be Server Latency.

You may try the following Link, to determine if the Site is up and running in your Geographical Location.

Siteadvisor.com - Is McAfee SiteAdvisor Down Right Now?

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 43

mslpplm,

There is currently a known issue in which SiteAdvisor turns grey when there's no internet connection created when the computer is booting.  This happens only when the Windows security suite is installed; when SiteAdvisor is installed by itself the problem doesn't exist.  The fix for this issue is currently being tested and is *tentatively* scheduled to begin rolling out at the very end of October (if no problems are discovered during testing).

If this is your situation, is it possible to start the computer with the internet connection enabled?

If you *do* have an internet connection during boot, would you be willing to let Selvan contact you to work on the issue and collect McAfee logs?

Side note:  The 'standalone' version you mention (i.e. when the suite is not installed) is quite old; I'd suggest you uninstall it and get the newer version from www.siteadvisor.com.

mslpplm
Former Member
Message 15 of 43

Site Advisor version when Internet Security is Installed: SiteAdvisor version 3.7, Build  3.7.1.125

Site Advisor version when Internet Security is not Installed: SiteAdvisor 3.65.135.1

McAfee SecurityCenter version 12.8, Build 12.8.988

Custom installation while re-installing internet security site advisor checked.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 16 of 43

I have had this issue since May, and actually have an open service request with Tier 2 Escalations.  Reading Doug's post above prompted me to try a few things, and one actually worked!  I now have the SA icon in color and not grey for the first time in many months.  Let me start by saying that I am on a wireless connection (Windows 8.1).   What I did was go into my Network and Sharing Center, click on Change Adapter Settings, right click my Wi Fi adapter icon, left click Properties, and left click Configure. Under the Power Management tab, I unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.  I have rebooted several times, and so far, so good.  Hopefully this work around continues to remedy the issue for me, and maybe others will find that it works for them as well.  I will post back in a few days with an update.

mslpplm
Former Member
Message 17 of 43

Re: Re: McAfee internet security blocking McAfee siteadvisor!!

Before un-installation of total protection/internet security, SiteAdvisor green.Green.jpg

SiteAdvisor version left is 3.7, Build  3.7.1.125

SiteAdvisor.jpg

After complete shut down and reboot, grey McAfee symbol

Grey.jpg

un-installed also,  removed with McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) again,  after un-installation SiteAdvisor version left is 3.7, Build  3.7.1.125, Green symbol.

Green without security.jpg

McAfee SecurityCenter version 12.8, Build 12.8.988

mslpplm
Former Member
Message 18 of 43

Hi PhilF.

Thank you for your reply, a very good, detailed reply, easy to read & follow.

Because you had the same problem, and your good, easy to read reply. I am going to try it today 19/9.  I will report back.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 19 of 43

mslpplm wrote:

Site Advisor version when Internet Security is Installed: SiteAdvisor version 3.7, Build  3.7.1.125

Hi

Please try the below steps and post back the outcome

1. Remove MIS from control Panel and run removal tool from http://mcaf.ee/mcpr

2. Remove McAfee Site Advisor from Control Panel in case you find it in Programs list

3. Download fresh copy of Site Advisor from www.siteadvisor.com and Install

4. Check if it is working fine and note its Version details

5. If it fails to load upon Reboot/Shut Down follow steps in reply # 15 above and see if it helps. (Provided you use a Wireless Network)

mslpplm
Former Member
Message 20 of 43

Re: Re: Re: McAfee internet security blocking McAfee siteadvisor!!

I use a wireless network connection.

1) removed MIS from control panel and ran McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)

2) Removed McAfee SiteAdvisor from control panel.

3) Downloaded a fresh copy of SiteAdvisor from siteadvisor.com and installed.

4) SiteAdvisor working fine (green), version as below.

Latest SiteAdvisor version.jpg

It does not fail to upload upon reboot.

However, this way siteadvisor working but no internet security.

When downloaded a fresh copy of internet security and installing, siteadvisor stays grey.

Latest version of security center as below

Latest security center version.jpg

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community