cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hake
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee ignores user opinions - arrogance?

After the brief spell of good sense by McAfee, 6261 has finally been replaced by same the toolbar hogging version, 2.8.255. After all we users said, McAfee seems oblivious to our justifiable objections. As far as I am concerned, the value of Site Advisor is rendered negligible by the theft of the valuable client area. Are these people so arrogant that they deliberately impose this software despite the strong views of the users?

How odd that McAfee seems set on creating disincentives to use what was a perfectly good piece of software until it ruined it.

I am uninstalling this piece of stupidware. To hell with it!
5 Replies
Jonno52
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

McAfee button back on own toolbar

Same here. SA was doing fine until today, with the button integrated into other toolbars. Now it's updated itself & the button's back on a toolbar of its own, in both IE7 and Firefox. I know Ex_Brit has been doing excellent work on our behalf, and I can't understand why McAfee isn't listening. I very much value SA as a way of identifying sites which may breach browser security - I've had such a breach, and dealing with it was no fun at all. But I'd also like some of my screen space back & will have to consider uninstalling SA.

McAfee have had a user feedback report from me (& plenty of others no doubt) already: they don't listen.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

RE: McAfee button back on own toolbar

If you read the stickies at the top of the forum and various threads on this very subject, you would realise that McAfee are only too painfully aware of the situation so your statement "McAfee ignores user opinions - arrogance?" is way out of line, and doesn't really help your case as I, for one, tend to ignore such headers.

The business with the new version hogging toolbar space is very well known and they are working to fix it. I've even posted some rival products that you can use in the meanwhile...which I probably will get shot for doing.

You should use the feedback form to voice your concerns...the more people file those, the better.

See: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222521
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217274

I find that header a bit of an insult knowing that you have posted elsewhere and know very well that the McAfee developers are fully aware of the situation.

Rewriting the code for software takes time. OK someone screwed up, they are fixing it...eventually.
Jonno52
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

SA button - read the sticky

Thanks Ex_Brit. Just read the sticky (which I should have done in the first place, sorry) and the work-around for IE helps a lot. Will also investigate the "rival products"! Cheers.
hake
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Apology

Sorry, Ex_Brit. My tirade was prompted by version 2.8.255 unexpectedly forcing itself onto my systems again over version 6261 :eek:. It seemed that this unwanted update could only be due to McAfee policy, i.e. having decided that all users MUST use v2.8, else why would they force the update download on users?

I apologise to the developers for my apparent bad manners. 😮

I am tweaking Agnitum Outpost to block Site Advisor updates so I can retain the use of 6261. 6261 has been going for so long, it seemed like a permanent feature. 2.8.255 was a rude awakening (twice).

Strange though that the developers seem oblivious of the importance of the size of the client area. They must use web browsers, even if only occasionally.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

RE: Apology

I think that they are only too painfully aware of that right now! I and several others have been bending there ears electronically non stop.;)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community