Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

McAfee has abandoned SiteAdvisor

How many sites have gone un-rated?

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/jii.be/msgpage/showthread.php?p=1088827

This is a result redirect from: link removed for safety purposes...as Siteadvisor says : "ruggirello.cn may try to steal your information."- MOD
12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

RE: McAfee has abandoned SiteAdvisor

Not sure what you mean here as that site has already been rated, but probably a while ago and I see that perhaps it should be re-rated. That doesn't happen overnight but you can help the process by becoming a reviewer: http://www.siteadvisor.com/analysis/reviewers/

You can also give feedback to the SiteAdvisor team yourself: http://www.siteadvisor.com/feedback.html

Please don't post links that may cause harm, thanks.
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

I asked for a review in February and ColoradoChris asked for a review in March and I checked back due to some forum spam I saw and it still has a Good rating in spite of repeated Meds spamming of forums.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Oh well then all I can say is they must be severely backlogged, which certainly doesn't surprise me one little bit. Thanks for trying anyway.
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Backlogged?

Do they have anyone reviewing the SiteAdvisor feedback?

Another example requesting a review on 09/05/2007-08:00:34 AM by dulux:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/larshederer.homepage.t-online.de

NTREGOPT and ERUNT are used by millions of users without a problem but SiteAdvisor insists that it is a malicious site!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

Well it's up to the owner of that website to appeal the finding. I do know that it takes from 4 - 8 weeks to get a review done again as it has to be done manually.

I realise that is far too long, and we have complained bitterly about it. Don't forget we are just users like yourselves so we have problems too.

The powers that be are aware of the shortcomings as we give them a list every Monday when we have a conference call.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

P.S. the original header is off base. McAfee certainly hasn't abandoned SiteAdvisor, after all it just bought it from it's creators!

The 2009 products have been occupying a large percentage of peoples' times so site reviews probably have been slow as a result.
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

The 2009 products have been occupying a large percentage of peoples' times so site reviews probably have been slow as a result.

I can appreciate that.

I sure hope that they are they are devoting some time to the antivirus2008 trojans infections as they are so prolific on the Internet today and they are a bit hard to get rid of as I helped my friend's son get rid of one a few days ago.

I have been reading that antivirus2009 trojan is even worse.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

unfortunately its not generic and there are so many ways and random files they create making it difficult
but the common exploit they utilise has been seen to be the browser and old version of JAVA on the computer
Falcon4
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Yeah, according to SiteAdvisor, right? Jesus, this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I never even thought I would see on this forum. Are mods really trying to defend this ridiculous product?

No, they don't reply within 4-8 weeks. I've been waiting well over twice that for my site's rating to be corrected. There are hundreds of thousands of sites that McAfee either hasn't rated (even based on user feedback, which should be automatic), or is rating incorrectly. The whole concept of "weighted reviews" is greatly flawed as well... I have several users of my site leaving positive reviews , but none were really active SiteAdvisor members until this issue came up. So they didn't help the rating one bit. There's nothing I can change on my site either, except maybe block SiteAdvisor itself from downloading other peoples' files.

Worst of all, McAfee doesn't even have a legitimate address on their "contact us" page. It just bounces back and isn't even valid according to USPS. McAfee abandoned SiteAdvisor... is there any question about it? But then again, is McAfee really doing anything to protect peoples' computers anyway?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community