cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squeen
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

McAfee giving False information

I recently attempted to submit my site to an online directory and the admin said that McAfee told them the site was a security risk and that the IP was a potentially risky connection.  They declined to add my site and gave that reason.

There is nothing at all on my site that would make it a security risk - I would like to know why McAfee is providing false information about my website?

This false information could be doing my site harm!  How can I get this issue fixed?

18 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: McAfee giving False information

May I suggest you contact with your concerns to get your issue resolved

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 19

If you let us know the site's address we can do a few checks, but ultimately you'll have to get in touch with SiteAdvisor and/or TrustedSource to have your site rating changed, if it's showing any warnings that you believe are unjustified.

The details of how to do that are HERE. It has a link on how to contact SiteAdvisor.

squeen
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Thanks, I sent an email to support @ siteadvisor ... what are their hours?

I want this false information removed ASAP, if its not I will turn it over to my lawyer you are doing unjust harm to my site!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Well, I have no idea what this "false information" might be nor what might be behind it since you haven't told us what the name of the website is, so I can't possibly comment on whether or not the harm that you allege is being done to your site is justified or not.

I merely note that the only information we have so far is that you have been told by a third party that

the site was a security risk and that the IP was a potentially risky connection

which does not necessarily mean that it is your site which is the problem. If your site is on a server with other websites, and one of those sites does indeed have a serious problem, then the IP address that your site shares with such a putative infected site could be flagged as a source of malware. Which is not the same at all as saying that your site is the source of the problem.

If you do not wish to identify your site, that's fine, you don't have to provide any information here if you don't want to. But in that case the dispute is between you and SiteAdvisor and/or TrustedSource, and is nothing to do with us here.

Would you like me to investigate, or not?

Message was edited by: Hayton - correct typos - on 18/02/12 01:38:40 GMT
squeen
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Yes by all means I want my site cleared, however you told me above that you could not help me and that I would have to contact SiteAdvisor so that is what I did!

I have done research on the issue and can see what is going on.   The IP that I was assigned in NOV, 2012 when I signed up at VPSville was identifed as having malware back in 2010.   McAfee and other sites have apparently not updated your/their list to reflect that the IP is no longer a threat!

I've been going off on my host the last hour and they are not wanting to take any responsibility!   They told me " Don't blame us for their (McAfees and others) list, or expect us to stop using an IP that had a bad customer on it 2 years ago. All IPs are re-used, its up to the lists to be accurate."

As stated I have sent SiteAdvisor and email as per your suggestion and will wait for them to get back to me.  IF you are in a position to clear this all up I will be happy to give you more info, however if you are not in a position to help, its pretty pointless to provide you with that info.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 19

At least we have the background to this now.

I did not say I could not help you; what I do is investigate the circumstances that might give rise to a Red or Amber SiteAdvisor warning. Sometimes I can suggest some action that will of itself clear a warning; sometimes I can identify a problem with a site of which the owner was unaware. Mostly I restrict myself to saying, 'here are reasons (x,y,z) for the rating'  and then let the site owner deal with SiteAdvisor to resolve the issue. I cannot change the rating of a site, merely provide information for the site owner.

If what you have been told is accurate, then possibly some intermediary that provides SiteAdvisor with lists of suspect IP addresses has not updated its records. This happens sometimes. It might be best if the SiteAdvisor team are allowed to carry out this investigation themselves, but you are unlikely to get a response from them over the weekend ... whereas the helpers here don't usually take the weekend off.

Since you seem to have the basic information you need, I'll let you get on with it. There are other sites that need attention.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 19

As a follow-up to the above, I can offer you one small but useful testing tool. Go to the following url :

http://www.magic-net.info/black-list-checker.dnslookup?black=vpsville.ca&Check_RBL=Blacklist+check

and enter the IP address of your Virtual Private Server there. I assume you have the Village option, which only has a single IP address? It should come back very quickly with indications of where exactly your IP has been blacklisted. This might help.

VPSVille by the way are not noticeably worse than any of their competitors. They have what I would say was an average level of user grumbles, but one of those user grumbles is that support can be sometimes unhelpful. I think you know this already. They have a good reputation on WOT, and no really hostile reviews that I can find anywhere.

But if you're not satisfied with the Toronto hosting I guess you might be within your rights to insist on a transfer to another of their sites - although London, Dallas, or  LA might not be so convenient.

squeen
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

The site you linked above displayed "Blacklisted in blackholes.five-ten-sg.com"  all other listings stated Not blacklisted with one other saying Host is not whitelisted in list.dnswl.org ....

So does this site indicate that the one blacklisting is the reason McAfee reports the IP as bad?   BTW, I am on a London Server and yes they say I am the only one using this particular IP.   And yes you are correct, thus far their support has been very unmotivated to help me.   They've told me its my issue to straighten out and that they can not be responsible for what someone did on their servers 2 years ago.

I dont really want to advertise the IP in public and you have stated No PM's so I have no way to give you the IP that is causing me so much trouble right now.

Thanks again though for the latest info.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 19

You can PM Peter I am sure he would not mind this once. If a problem PM it to me with the web site address /Ip address and I will pass it on to him. He can as he siad check up what is causing the issue so you can pass this onto siteadvisor speeds things up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community