cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trevorwright
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

McAfee WebAdvisor not compatible with Firefox browser multiprocess

Hi - just updated to Firefox 54.0 (64-bit) on a fully up-to-date Windows 7 PC running a fully up-to-date McAfee Internet Security product, which McAfee Virtual Technician says is free of problems .

A key feature of Firefox 54 is Multiprocess support; however this will only be enabled if all add-ons are multiprocess compatible.

A small add-on from Firefox tells you if they are all compatible and the problem I have is with WebAdvisor, which is reported as:

"McAfee WebAdvisor

Version 5.0.540.0

Not compatible with multiprocess."

If I disable WebAdvisor and restart Firefox then multiprocess is enabled....

I've had a WebChat with McAfee support but the agent did not seem to understand the issue and just kept saying that WebAdvisor was fully-compatible with Firefox - I guess he/she did not understand what multiprocess was about.

So - I do not seem to be able to update anything as I'm on the latest versions (I think)....McAfee Internet Security / Navigation / About reports:

"McAfee WebAdvisor, Version 4.0, Build: 4.0.5.139, AffID: 0, Language en-gb"

I cannot be the only one having this problem. Can a Tech from McAfee please look at this and give a solution....

THANKS

16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: McAfee WebAdvisor not compatible with Firefox browser multiprocess

I'll pas this on to my favourite WebAdvisor expert at McAfee to get his comments on the matter.

BTW you've taught me to look for something I knew nothing about...I too have Win 7 w/FF 54 64-bit, so the outcome will be interesting.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 17

BTW, what is the add-on?   I can't find it.

trevorwright
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 17

Thanks.  Quite a few of my add-ons are not compatible with multiprocess.

Not sure what I'm missing by not having it as this is all new to me.

I received an acknowledgement from my contact at McAfee and they are working on it.  No ETA for solution a.t.m.

Hopefully an answer will be forthcoming soon.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 17

Interestingly I see the following in my extension list in FF54 64-bit for that add-on

(click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 17

I installed that Add-on and there's a whole load of my extensions that it says are not multi-process compatible, including WOT and Google Translator for FF, as well as WebAdvisor. I think the FF changes needed a bit more publicity - I have seen mentions of them but didn't realise quite how extensive they were until I started working through some of the Mozilla pages.

"Even before Firefox 57, changes coming up in the Firefox platform will break many legacy extensions. These changes include multiprocess Firefox (e10s), sandboxing, and multiple content processes. Legacy extensions that are affected by these changes should migrate to WebExtensions if they can."

See "Working with multiprocess Firefox" on Mozilla (no URL shows in address bar)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 17

I wish they'd chill a bit.  Mind you they announce that at every major update and only the oldest and least adapted apps become unusable....usually.

Actually they have an added worry.  Apparently Windows 10 S will not allow Firefox or Chrome in as desktop browsers.

That was in my news snippets today...interesting.   But it makes me want to migrate to a Mac rather than face an ever more restrictive Windows environment.

trevorwright
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

Hi Peter,

Any word from your favourite WebAdvisor expert (or maybe you can gently enquire) as to the status of this problem and whether WebAdvisor is likely to get updated anytime soon?

Thanks for your assistance.

Trevor Wright

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 17

I'll let you know if I hear anything.   From what I last heard I doubt it's a priority as they found Mozilla's claims regarding this to be somewhat exaggerated.

But - no official word one way or the other yet.   I've sent an email.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community