Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danib
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

McAfee Web Advisor Stopped Working in Internet Explorer 11

Jump to solution

HI,

As the title says, McAfee Web Advisor Stopped Working in Internet Explorer 11.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled/  I have checked 3rd party extensions are set to on too.

It's strange because the BHO extension shows as enabled in add-ons, but Web Advisor shows as 'Not Available'

Please see screenshot.

Is this a known issue please nd any help and advice please?

Thanks.

mcafee-wa.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Re: McAfee Web Advisor Stopped Working in Internet Explorer 11

Jump to solution

This may be the same problem that I reported a few weeks ago and to which I was advised that due to changes by Microsoft, Webadvisor in IE 11 no longer showed ticks on search sites nor scanned downloads in the same way. As a consequence I only use FF and Chrome now, which are not affected. This is annoying for me because I used IE 11 regularly for business. Note, this is a "feature" of MS which has reduced McAfee functionality. If I am incorrect, or misunderstood the issue, my apologies in advance.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

​,

That is indeed strange? Is this isolated to only Internet Explorer 11? Do you by chance use a alternative Browser as well? I just checked my Internet Explorer 11, and Firefox as well. Both are functioning perfectly. You can always contact Technical Support 24/7 at no cost. Via Phone/Online Chat being by far the quickest.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

It may state that there may be a waiting period, however from my experience was only 3 minutes. May I ask what Version\Build you are currently running, and your operating system?

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
danib
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for responding.

It's a Windows 10 PC and I have FireFox and Chrome too.  Everything has been fine with McAfee WebAdvisor in FireFox until yesterday, now no green ticks in FF either - actually, that's not quite true.  Occasionally there are a couple of green checks per page of results.  I just Googled, Google, and I got green checks on two results, the Guardian and Twitter.

McAfee Internet Security suite version 15.0.179 and McAfee WebAdvisor version = 4.0.164

I will uninstall the whole lot and start again I think.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

​,

Please make sure you remove your McAfee Software by going to the Control Panel/Programs and Features/Select and remove/Restart. Then follow up with the MCPR to remove all remnants.Restart and allow system to completely load all programs before using.

I might add also,make sure you have yesterdays Current Windows Updates installed, to include Internet Explorer. As McAfee and other important programs use it to function properly. In addition you have the latest Adobe Flash Player installed. ( Make sure you uncheck optional programs bundled with-in the download).

Kindly post back to let us know if this helped...

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
danib
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

HI Cliff,

Thanks again, for your response.

I already had McAfee uninstalled by the time I your post mentioning using MCPR. I thought Flash was inbuilt in IE11 now.

Regarding my issues: I was already running the Windows updates; now McAfee Web Advisor is back working in FireFox.  Thanks though.

However, no change in Internet Explorer 11; McAfee Web Advisor is the same as the screenshot I included in a previous pos - The McAfee Web Advisor BHO add-on is enabled and active, but the McAfee Web Advisor only add-on is not available.

I don't really know where to go from here.  I keep both browsers open constantly for different reasons; I use FF for my e-mail accounts and IE11 for web development and searches.

I worry a lot about online viruses, so I like to know the reputation of the sites I visit - it's a pin.

Thanks again.

danib
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Cliff,

By the way, I thought I would mention that safe search is not listed in the add-ons list of search providers either.  McAfee Web Advisor is not listed at all in the tools menu and there is no McAfee Web Advisor toolbar option - I presume because that add-on is listed as 'Not Available'.

Dan,

cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

This may be the same problem that I reported a few weeks ago and to which I was advised that due to changes by Microsoft, Webadvisor in IE 11 no longer showed ticks on search sites nor scanned downloads in the same way. As a consequence I only use FF and Chrome now, which are not affected. This is annoying for me because I used IE 11 regularly for business. Note, this is a "feature" of MS which has reduced McAfee functionality. If I am incorrect, or misunderstood the issue, my apologies in advance.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

​,

You are entirely correct   Actually I remember now that I (helped) to  assist you in that discussion.  Here is the thread 

and

​  Please read the discussions I inserted, as ​ is indeed correct. I should have  mentioned this..Sigh.  Too many hours on here ...I guess.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

cavehomme,

You are correct that the reduced functionality of WebAdvisor's add-on for IE was at the request of Microsoft. 

As catdaddy posted in another thread "Please read this FAQ: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&art icleId=TS102584​"

At this point there is nothing we can do about this reduce feature set for IE; if you want WebAdvisor's full functionality, you'll need to use either Chrome or Firefox.

danib
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Thanks , I have read the discussion you pointed me to.

What a shame; there is something about those green safe ratings that makes me feel reassured when surfing online.

I have used Internet Explorer since the days it was NetScape, but as a consequence of Microsoft's decision I have moved to Chrome.  It's just not the same; however, the ratings mean more to me than the browser.  How many more will move away from Explorer I wonder? 

If 'safe ratings' have integrated well into Explorer for the last however many years, why is it such an issue now?

Anyway, thanks all for your feedback.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community