YoKenny
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

McAfee SiteAdvisor sued over 'spyware'

McAfee SiteAdvisor sued over 'spyware'
If 7Search wins, you lose
By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
Published Thursday 28th August 2008 19:45 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a case that could tie the hands of companies trying to protect their customers from internet threats, a website owner with past ties to a notorious piece of spyware has filed a lawsuit claiming it is being unfairly maligned by warnings from McAfee that the site poses a risk to its customers.

7Search.com filed the complaint in US District Court in Illinois. It seeks unspecified monetary damages and an injunction ordering McAfee's SiteAdvisor service to designate the site as safe. SiteAdvisor, which warns users when they are about to visit a site that may pose security threats, currently displays a warning that reads: "Feedback from credible users suggests that downloads on this site may contain what some people would consider adware, spyware, or other potentially unwanted programs."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/28/7search_sues_mcafee
6 Replies
melboy
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: McAfee SiteAdvisor sued over 'spyware'

I hope all readers take the time to read the article and follow the links therein and dont just read the title and use it as a stick to beat Site Advisor with.

I've just tried to go to 7search.com and was blocked by Sitehound. When i chose ignore warning, go to site my hosts file blocked it.
seems like they may be filing a lot of lawsuits....

Credible SA reviewers cite a credible security experts findings (Eric Howes) as justification to tag this site as, in their opinion, having downloads on this site may contain what some people would consider adware, spyware, or other potentially unwanted programs.
I think Eric howes' findings point more to adware being related to any products this site offers/is associated with.

The site owners point out that there is now no direct downloads on the site any more.

I think generally, the history of sites and owners and the products they offer/have offered is important for a user to make an educated/informed choice on which sites/products to use.
Site Advisor , for me , helps provide this.
I do not however blindly believe all that i see/hear/read, as always, its your system, your choice.
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I disabled my HOSTS file and went to the 7search.com site to be greeted by

I could not copy-n-paste the information here.

hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file both block 7search.com

If you choose to ignore the information then a Marketing Affiliate will come calling on you with promises of untold wealth, busty babes, fabulous boats, cheap stuff from China and enlarged anatomy parts of your body will come calling on you with offers that will make your head spin.

Also, I could not close IE nor move away from the site.
melboy
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Is that enough to tag it with a browser exploit as well then? wink
paullotion
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Nothing new here, hopefully this will laughed out of court, if it goes that far.
melboy
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

True. They seem to have a lot more enemies than allies.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/7search.com
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I been laughing since I saw it first.....:D
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community