cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Per
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Security Scan Plus thinks a website is dangerous - is there facts?

Hello folks.

I got really upset with the "support" web pages - they give different support options depending on which browser you use, but they all have in common that you will never get through to get any way to contact Mcafee - Chrome gave an email option, but it wasn't selectable. IE managed to open a chat window, but it was totally empty and dead, and so on. I thought I should give the community a shot, I have more faith in you than in all of Macafee corp at the moment. 😉

Question: I got McAfee Security Scan Plus installed with Adobe once. I now claims it has found a risk, and of course wants me to purchase more products.

1 Dangerous website

These websites are connected with serious risks: 

* koolphp.net      

(my translation back to english)

So, my question is: Is there any facts behind why this website is marked as dangerous?

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Security Scan Plus thinks a website is dangerous - is there facts?

Security Scan Plus is merely a tool to point out vulnerabilites and , as you said, to persuade you to buy the actual security products.

You can uninstall it in the normal manner via Control Panel.

That website is also found to be risky by SiteAdvisor (the free version is available HERE) , site report HERE.

It may be a false assessment though, in that case the website owner would have to appeal.

Per
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Ex_Brit for your fast response!

A good tip about the SiteAdvisor. Is that the source for the rating Security Scan Plus gives?

I still don't understand the rating SiteAdvisor gives - comparing it with another site which is flagged green, the only difference shown between them is that this 'dangerous' site had a 3rd party cookie. However, the SiteAdvisor help page states "The presence or cookies is only noted. Cookies do not affect a site's score.".

This is apparently a common problem however; I found the thread https://community.mcafee.com/thread/29713 which talks thoroughly about this, and judging from that I doubt I have a chance of getting a better answer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

The workings of SiteAdvisor no doubt are what Security Scan Plus is using,  It remains a mystery to us mere mortals but it's part automated and part not, being effected by reviewers too, but that thread you linked is probably as good a place as any to try to understand it.

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

I am not 100% sure how they do it.But I believe it is a combination of independent tests and community ratings.If you download Site advisor you can hover over the green check mark with IE.

You can then read comments or see any of the other results.Although there are sometimes false positives I`m sure.Here are a few images below to check out.Hope that helps

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Maybe it's because the site's home page contains tracking code from Google Analytics. Or perhaps it's the links in the code to sightmax3.webhost4life.com - webhost4life.com is hosted on GoDaddy servers, and hosting by GoDaddy seems to cause some problems when SiteAdvisor is collecting information.

I can't see anything on this site that is obviously causing the red rating, but SiteAdvisor collects a lot of information from many different sources. The site owner would have to ask for an explanation of the rating, which might take some time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community