cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 1 of 18

McAfee Scanner Service in Task Manager showing high CPU Usage

This has just started recently.  I am currently running Windows 10 and I have the newest up to date Total Protection installed.  Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed the computer lagging.  When I open up Task Manager, under the Mcafee items there is one listed as Mcafee Scanner service.  There are times when it spikes in CPU usage, I have seen it go up to 60% myself.  The computer itself is not new and the Total Protection has been installed for about 3 months.  Nothing has been physically changed on the system.  Mcafee is the only virus protection, and I ran malwarebytes as well as superantispyware and found no issues.  Neither has total protection.

Here's some software info:

Security Center build 14.0.780

Mcafee Web Advisor 4.0.2.170

Firefox 44.0.2

Windows 10 current updates

Since the computer is not new and the Mcafee is not I am curious where the issue is.  I actually thought it was due to a scan, but for example, today it was showing a scan starting after 3.  I was on the computer about a half hour before when it started slowing down.

BUT HERE IS THE KICKER!  I have scans scheduled to use minimum resources and to run on Weds. at 2.  Today it was showing the next scan was to start after 3 on today, a Thursday!  I don't know what that means, but I am shocked by that one.  Any help would certainly be appreciated!

17 Replies
nikenth
Former Member
Message 2 of 18

Re: McAfee Scanner Service in Task Manager showing high CPU Usage

Hi,

Possibility could be;

1. Corrupted files in the Hard drive. Example OS files corrupted due to a virus infection and McAfee Scanner keep scanning those files could be a reason for this.

Work around:

Check whether you have any unwanted browser addons installed. Examples: Browser Protect, Babylon tool bar and also check for programs like RegcurePro, Advanced system care.If so uninstall those programs.

Open the McAfee program and got to Virus and Spyware Protection>>Real Time Scanning- on>>Settings>>go to the last available option and change it to>> Minimize the effect on my PC's speed and restart the computer. After reboot check the CPU/Memory usage.

If you are seeing any change in CPU usage after changing the settings in Virus and Spyware protection follow the next step

Try to boot the computer in Safemode and check the CPU and Memory usage of McAfee service. Perform a McAfee update when the computer is in safemode, reboot the computer in normal mode and perform a windows update and restart the computer again to check the computer performance.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 3 of 18

Good morning.  Thanks for responding.

I did check and none of those browser add-ons are on my PC.

I minimized the PC speed through McAfee and rebooted.  There was no change, I am still having high CPU usage.  It's not during a scan as I was not doing a scan this morning, unless it is because of the real-time scanning.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 18

Check again to see if there is any software installed that may be interfering with the antivirus programme...anything with an active scanner turned on.

(Never have 2 A/V's on at the same time).

Check for suspect software using GetSusp (possibly also MalwareBytes Free) see instructions in last link below.

If the worst comes to the worst, it's easy enough to do the following which probably will cure it.

Uninstall vie Control Panel > Programs and Features

Reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account

If all that fails, Technical Support is a free phone call (or online chat), also linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Contact Support

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 5 of 18

Thank you for responding.

I do not have any other A/V programs installed.  I did run Malwarebytes as well as Superantispyware.  There were no issues found on either.

I did uninstall and run the Removal tool the other day.  I downloaded from the site.  The issue persisted.

I am actually on with my 2nd tech of the morning now.  The first one used remote access, confirmed my phone number and then we were disconnected.  I never heard back.  I tried chat again and was told the time was 2 minutes to be connected.  I waited 20.  Now I have someone back on the line.  Hopefully this helps.

But thank you again for taking the time to help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 18

I assume SuperAntispyware is the free version?

Glad you already have the techs looking at this.  You can always escalate the issue if at first they can't pinpoint what's doing this..

Good luck.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 7 of 18

Well, after getting disconnected again I did escalate it.  The one tech didn't believe that it was happening until I actually got it to spike.  Then they changed their tune.  Basically, after all is said and done the most that happened is he shut off NetGuard.  I was told it was safe.  I tried it for a few moments so far, the most it seems to have done is spike to about 30% and drop back down fast.  If that is it that's okay.  I am leery about having the NetGuard off, though, as if it is there isn't it meant to be on?  I'm not sure.  Then I was asked if I can have it marked as resolved.  I said yes, but I wasn't sure.  If it isn't confirmed it works then how can I say it's resolved?

I'm just not too happy with this, as I have been trying to work on this with Mcafee for 2 hours this morning.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 18

Well call them back and escalate it to a higher level then.

If that fails I can alert our resident Tech but he is already very busy so can't guarantee him being immediately available.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 18

You can also escalate your issue, and explain your customer experience; by Contacting 'Intel Total Satisfaction Promise'

Click on that Link to proceed. It escalates your issue to Tier 3 Technicians.

Found it.....

Total Satisfaction Promise - McAfee

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 10 of 18

Actually, catdaddy, that is what I did.  On the contact McAfee page there is a link on the bottom to Executive Escalations Team under Total Satisfaction Promise.  That is who was the last person I referenced above who didn't believe the issue then turned Netguard off via Remote.  Is there a different way to Escalate?  I know when I was chatting with him a woman called from McAfee to ask if my issue was being resolved.  The funny thing is she mentioned repeatedly the tech was currently working on it, to which I replied I didn't know if it was resolved until the tech was finished.

She said she would call me back once he was done but hasn't.  Maybe I shouldn't have said it was resolved, but if he was ending the chat how could I know if the issue was going to reappear unless I had time to try and duplicate it?  I don't know.

Also, should I turn Netguard back on?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community