cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sodapop
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Says Metacafee isn't safe?

For the most part I've very much enjoyed using McAfee Free Siteadvisor. Although something its done lately does have me a bit baffled. I've many times in the past used Metacafee for all sorts of videos. Now however its saying that Metacafe is unsafe & has had 70 something unsafe downloads. It has never said this before & I was wondering is there some sort of glitch occuring or is Metacafee really unsafe lately?

My appologies if this is in the wrong catagory or has already been posted, I'm new to these forums so I'm still learning. However, if some one could please answer this I would greatly appreacate it.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Says Metacafee isn't safe?

You're in the right spot. I presume you mean metacafe with one 'e'?   The SiteAdvisor rating process is automated so it would be difficult to ascertain exactly what changed to cause it suddenly to warrant a red rating.

The website owner has some options open:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/68874#68874

However, if you have relied upon it in the past and trust it personally, you can simply override that warning and go to the site anyway.  

SiteAdvisor is merely a tool to warn of potential pitfalls.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/04/11 10:05:46 EDT AM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Not sure about this one. SiteAdvisor's site page says that 77 downloads are infected with the PWS-OnlineGames Trojan. These downloads are all apparently games, as you might expect, although metacafe is mostly associated with video downloads.

Google SafeBrowsing gives it a clean bill of health, and so does Norton; but - mixed messages again - user reviews there complain of malware downloads. WOT rates it okay but marks it down on child safety grounds. One recent note of malware on the site, and an allegation that passwords are stored on the server in plain, ie unencrypted, format (which would not be secure).

The site contains a great deal of content from mcstatic.com, the website of Harvey Chahal, stage name Static, a hip-hop artist from Vancouver, BC.

As for SiteAdvisor, the red blocking page cannot be overridden in Chrome. In Internet Explorer and Firefox the SiteAdvisor button turns red but there is no attempt to block access.

The SA messages are confusing and inconsistent. In the red IEand Firefox SiteAdvisor balloons it refers to the downloads; in Chrome the blocking page (like all the blocking pages I have seen on Chrome) claims there is a browser exploit. This looks like a problem with the SA implementation for Chrome.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Sorry, forgot that Chrome sees things differently often.

sodapop
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thank you all for input, I think for the time being I will simply stay away from Metacafe since there are plenty of other sites I can use.

Message was edited by: sodapop on 4/24/11 5:01:59 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

LOL, maybe a good idea...all the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community