Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toebin
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

McAfee Internet Security Issue after 1/13/12 Update

Hey All,

I've browsed the forum and couldn't find another issue like mine, although I rather think it's similar to the SVC Host issue others are asking about.

Yesterday I had an update to my McAfee Internet Security that required a reboot. After doing so I am constantly getting a DOS box that pops up. I'm running Win XP SP3, have had MIS installed for years.. literally..lol

So, I get this DOS box that pops up on my desktop about every 10 min or so, no matter what I am doing. The box has the title C:\PROGR~1\MCAFEE\SiteAD~1\saUPD.exe  it stays up on the screen for a good 20 seconds with nothing on the dos screen but a blinking cursor and then it disappears, only to pop back up about 10 min later. WHAT gives with this ? What the heck did that update DO yesterday?

Dunno what's going on with McAfee products lately but between the Desktop Icon issue (I see it should be resolved shortly) and this current problem with the DOS box.. along with an ongoing McAfee Mobile Security issue I've had for the past month I'm really concerned about their products quality control.

Anyways, any help with this little irritating DOS box issue would be helpful.

Thanks in advance !!

Some Vital Stats- It looks like only the Virus Scan and Site Advisor updated yesterday.

Virus Scan version 15

Build - 15.0.294

Last Update - 1/13/2012

DAT Version - 6588

DAT Creation Date - 1/12/2012

Site Advisor Version 3.4

Build 3.4.1.189

Affld - 0

Language - en-us

Last Update 1/13/2012

7 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee Internet Security Issue after 1/13/12 Update

You're not alone. There's an existing thread about this problem HERE which has been running for a while. Since one of the senior McAfee techs has been involved I've been expecting a fix to come through, but it hasn't appeared yet. I don't get this popup, thankfully, and I don't know what's causing it. If I start getting it then McAfee will certainly get to hear about it .... for now, all I can say is that I've put this in as an urgent item in Monday's conference call.

I'll post the gist of this to the other thread. It's about time something was done to fix this problem.

wilyoung
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

A friend and I have been getting this also. It must be Site Advisor as this is the only McAfee  program we have updated. Site Advisor is also screwing up on my machine but seems to be working on hers. We have the same Windows, Firefox Site Advisor levels. At least that is what is indicated on our machines. We did the Firefox and Site Advisor downloads at different times separated by several days. Could actually be different versions????

Message was edited by: wilyoung on 1/14/12 4:54:55 PM CST
toebin
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the info Hayton. I appreciate it and will follow through in the appropriate thread that you linked to.

buddy7
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I'm getting this same thing on my PC.  just started yesterday I think.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

There's lots about this in the other thread, plus my best guess as to the reason for it. Let's keep all the posts in that thread, this one's just a duplicate for the issue.

davoud1
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi All,

Can you guys point out the followng so we can debug this and find out what is going on:

1)  Do you have the McAfee suite? If yes, what version and type

2) What os?

toebin
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Hi davoud1.

Most of the discussion re this issue is going on in this thread... https://community.mcafee.com/thread/41472?start=70&tstart=0 as Hayton has corralled us all into the same place to discuss it.

I DO have McAfee Internet Security Version 11 of which Site Advisor is a part of as I stated in the first post above. I am also running Win XP Pro sp 3. My issue started with the SA update on 1/13/12 .

Virus Scan version 15

Build - 15.0.294

Last Update - 1/13/2012

DAT Version - 6588

DAT Creation Date - 1/12/2012

Site Advisor Version 3.4

Build 3.4.1.189

Affld - 0

Language - en-us

Last Update 1/13/2012

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community