Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 21 of 58

Re: Latest firefox update and Site Advisor issues

McAfee may have prevented SiteAdvisor from loading in Firefox but it seems that had they not done so Mozilla would have done it themselves. SiteAdvisor was crashing Firefox at startup, repeatedly and consistently. It looks as if a rewrite was absolutely necessary, and the testing will have to be thorough. Four weeks for turnaround is not an excessive amount of time for something this important.

Bug 658780 - Start-up crash with incompatible version of some extensions

It exists in 4.0.1, 5.0 and 6.0a1.It is currently #1 top crasher in 5.0b2.It happens at startup.

SiteAdvisor blocked by Mozilla.png

jakfak
Former Member
Message 22 of 58

My Site Advisor script is expiring August 1, 2011, and since I'm on auto-renew, they'll be debiting my CC about 30 days in advance.  Since I can't use SA in Firefox, I'm thinking of cancelling auto renew until McAfee issues a new version that will work, and then purchase it again. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 58

They reckon it will be fixed by mid to late July anyway, could be earlier of course, but no promises.

jakfak
Former Member
Message 24 of 58

Thanks Mod, I appreciate your reply.  I'm paid up through July 31st.  If it's fixed before or by then, great, but if not, I don't want to pay for something I can't use.  Site Advisor does work in IE, but I don't like using that browser.  I just turned off auto-renew and indicated the reason why in McAfee's short survey.  I've been with McAfee for years and still have AntiVirus Plus which I auto-renew every year. BTW, I got WOT yesterday. 

supaphly187
Former Member
Message 25 of 58

Site Advisor DOES work with the newest version of Internet explorer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 58

Good luck finding the perfect answer, there isn't one believe me.

All of the big A/V's fare about the same as each other, they all have their ups and downs and what some succeed with others don't and vice versa, and as far as SiteAdvisor goes, all of the manufacturer's  equivalent toolbar-type browser security applications were disabled by this latest Firefox upgrade, so it's not just McAfee.

WOT continues to work because it uses a totally different approach.

Edit:  IE9 never was a problem with SiteAdvisor as I stated in an earlier post.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/06/11 2:12:07 EDT PM
AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 27 of 58

Ex_Brit is right, but there is one major solution you could take advantage of for free -- stop clicking on things that might be viruses! If you've gotten multiple infections despite using Firefox and having an up to date antivirus, you're living much too dangerously.

You simply can't take a chance on a file of unknown provenance and hope your AV program will protect you. The very highest rated products detect around 95% of "zero day" infections (malware so new that AV companies have not previously received a sample for analysis). That means one time in twenty, something bad is going to get through. In the vast majority of those cases, you could have used your own common sense to detect it --  I don't know this sender, I don't use this bank, I didn't enter this lottery, I would expect to have to pay for this download if it were legal, etc.  Switching products is not going to improve the detection rate so dramatically as to overcome careless internet habits. And I can tell you that the products with the highest detection rates also have higher false positive rates. They're helpful at alerting you to a possible problem, but won't help if you know things are possible problems but have been clicking on them anyway.

on 6/28/11 12:18:50 PM GMT-05:00
jakfak
Former Member
Message 28 of 58

BTW, I have no financial interest in McAfee products, but I thought you might like to know that they are currently running a 50% discount on Total Protection 2011.  The regular price is $89.99 and it's only $44.99 and it's good on up to 3 computers....don't know how long this will last.  I've always had Antivirus Plus and my current subscription for that renews in January, but Total Protection 2011 is even cheaper than Antivirus Plus so I purchased Total Protection 2011 today.  Considering that Total Protection also includes Site Advisor Live, which is $19.99 by itself, I got a real good deal today.   Anyway, I thought y'all would be interested.

http://home.mcafee.com/Store/PackageDetail.aspx?pkgid=275

jakfak
Former Member
Message 29 of 58

True, I did lose money on the remaining 6 months of my subscription for AntiVirus Plus, but my Site Advisor Live was up for renewal August 1st and Total Protection 2011 also monitors spam, email, phishing, and parental controls, so I still came out ahead.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 58

Thanks jakfak I am sure lots of people will be interested in that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community