cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmd_63
Former Member
Message 1 of 58

Latest firefox update and Site Advisor issues

I have just had an update request for my firefox 4.0.1 taking it to 5.0.

However, the Site Advisor add-in 3.3.1 does not work with this update.

Please advise as to the projected release date for a new version of Site Advisor to work with Firefox 5.

57 Replies
tmd_63
Former Member
Message 2 of 58

Re: Latest firefox update and Site Advisor issues

Please note: Due to further investigation. Firefox has hard blocked Site Advisor for all versions within Firefox 5, 6 and 7.

This is due to an apparent large number of crashes within Windows 7.

But I have Windows XP and have NEVER had a crash due to Site Advisor/Firefox conflicts.

Add-ons Blocklist

This page lists blocklisted add-ons that should no longer be used with Mozilla products.

• McAfee SiteAdvisor for Firefox 5 and later. Reason: high volume of crashes and incompatible with Firefox 5 (see bug 660111)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 58

They are fully aware of that and a compatible version should be released as soon as possible.  Firefox 5 has only just been officially released and beta versions of browsers are never supported anyway, so future versions of Firefox will be dealt with as and when required.  Firefox automatically looks for updated versions of add-ons so let's hope it's soon.   Meanwhile I've been telling people to use My Web Of Trust, a.k.a. WOT.

On my machine updating to FF5 yesterday broke 5 add-ons, most notably SiteAdvisor and Google Toolbar.

I have asked for more information and will post as soon as I know.

Moved this to SiteAdvisor by the way.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 58

See the announcement at the top of this section, it may be a month as they are re-designing the whole thing.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 58

There are two things to note about the release of Firefox 5.

One, if it's going to take a month or more to prepare a release of SiteAdvisor for Firefox 5 then we're getting very close to the projected date for the release of Firefox 6, which is promised for early August.

And two, Firefox 5 makes Firefox 4 (but not - yet - Firefox 3.6) obsolete, or at least unsupported. There will be no more security updates for FF4 : Mozilla say it has reached EOL (end-of-life) for vulnerability patches.

Mozilla retires Firefox 4 from security support - Applications - InfoWorld.png

See this article from InfoWorld for the details.

(Edit) Make that three things to note. As of last week Firefox 3 is no longer regarded by Google as a Current Version. Updates to Google Apps will not be guaranteed to work in Firefox 3, and apps like Google Docs and Gmail will eventually start to fail in FF3. And from August, with the release of Firefox 6, FF4 will also become history as far as Google is concerned.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 24/06/11 02:17:56 IST
sodapop
Former Member
Message 6 of 58

I too hope that Mcafee site advisor starts working again. I even attempted to install Norton Safe Web toolbar for the mean time until Mcafee is compatiable again. Unfortuantly their safe search too is incompatiable with FireFox 5.0. The only way at the moment that I can scan any site to make sure its safe is to go to the Norton Safe Web site and enter the site address there.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 58

Well it's comforting at least to know that McAfee isn't the only one who is having problems with Mozilla's rapid-fire approach to upgrades and planned obsolescence.

There is always My Web Of Trust or WOT, it still works fine:  http://www.mywot.com/ .

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 58

FYI : the projected release dates for future versions of Firefox are :-

August 16          --  Firefox 6

September 27  --  Firefox 7

November 8      --   Firefox 8  (this date must be an error. Probably 18th or 28th.)

December 20   --   Firefox 9

In each case, the preceding edition will be retired - no longer supported by Mozilla; and the current version less 2 will be dropped by Google.

This rapid changeover is causing major disruptions among corporate Firefox users, where intensive testing is carried out on new versions before corporate users are allowed to upgrade. At IBM they still haven't given the all clear to Firefox 4.0.1, and won't be able to get through the clearance for version 5 before FF6 appears. See this article from ComputerWorld for more on this.

(Edit : FF3.5 is already unsupported by Mozilla and users are being strongly encouraged to upgrade to FF3.6 or FF5. The future of FF3.6 is in doubt : there will be one more security update for this version (to 3.6.19) on August 16th, but the question of whether to continue supporting 3.6 beyond that date is to be discussed this week.)

Mozilla has scheduled a developers meeting in its Mountain View, Calif. office for Tuesday, June 28, to discuss Firefox 3.6's retirement.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 24/06/11 23:31:12 IST
j2k
Former Member
Message 9 of 58

does anyone know when it will start working with firefox please?

please keep us informed

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 58

About a month, see post #3 and/or the announcement at the top of SiteAdvisor section.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community