Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Javascript Application exc in ev handl error bad npobject as private data

Jump to solution

Hi I am using a XP Home Service Pack 3 with McAfee Internet Security.

I am not sure if this is a McAfee problem or not, but my Firefox 3.6.25 was running fine before and the only thing I was doing was checking my Yahoo email.

So, today when I was just starting Firefox after updating McAfee, I updated my NoScript Add-on to version 2.2.5.  After the restart I closed Firefox and when I was opening it again I got a message saying that McAfee Service Host encountered a problem.  I closed Firefox and waited for the McSvHost.exe process to show up in my Task Manager.  When it did I checked my Yahoo email.  But as I was going to my college's website to print out my textbooks list.  I had to click a link that show all my books (this is normal), but when a new tab was opened I got a message "Javascript Application exc in ev handl error bad npobject as private data!".

I found out that whenever I open a tab or close a tab I would get this message and when I close Firefox.  Since I was able to close Firefox without getting that message before the McAfee Service Host message, I figure it might be McAfee.  When I googled this message, I found posts in the Mozilla forums that it was SiteAdvisor's fault.  But as I said I didn't have this problem before and it was only happening after the McAfee Service Host had a problem.

So, what I am wondering is that is this a problem caused by the McAfee Service Host encountering a problem or something else?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Re: Javascript Application exc in ev handl error bad npobject as private data

Jump to solution

Well, it has been a week and it seems to not have that problem anymore.  So, I guess it is solved.  So weird.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention that I went on my Vista, which also has the same version for McAfee and Firefox. I also just updated the NoScript today too and I didn't get the "Javascript Application exc in ev handl error bad npobject as private data!" message, even though I went to the same site and even checked all the Firefox topics about this. The only difference I can think of is that McAfee Service Host didn't encounter a problem on my Vista. While my XP did.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

A user here experienced that same error and cleared it by disabling SiteAdvisor, uninstalling just it and reinstalling after a reboot.

To uninstall just Siteadvisor assuming it came part of your protection suite, click the McAfee entry in your Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs > Uninstall a Program (in Vista and 7) and when asked only uninstall it.

Likewise you can customize the reinstallation from your account (or http://www.siteadvisor.com) after a reboot.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/01/12 2:05:31 EST PM
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I actually didn't need to follow the advice in that thread. Since I was trying to see if this problem was still happening I did the exact same thing as yesterday. But McSvHost.exe didn't encounter a problem this time and I didn't get the message about the javascript no matter how many times I opened a new tab.

It seems like this problem was caused by the McAfee Service Host encountering a problem. But I continue to monitor to see if it occurs again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Interesting.  By the way my apologies, I inadvertently typed Stinger when I meant SiteAdvisor.  I have corrected my post above.

Let's hope it stays OK.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Well, it has been a week and it seems to not have that problem anymore.  So, I guess it is solved.  So weird.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Let's hope it stays that way, all the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community