cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6timmcc
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Is this alert legitimate?

I keep getting this alert from IE. Can any tell me whether this is a legitimate alert or is it some kind of phishing attempt?

When I close the alert without making a selection, and then open MacAfee security center it tells me that all services are working including the firewall.

Thanks,

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this alert legitimate?

Moved to WebAdvisor (browser add-on) which is what is alerting you.  Is it a while since you did an antivirus scan?

Try rebooting as that usually cures it.   Don't click Fix Now if your A/V is fine as that will start a scan, unless you'd like that to happen.

Click Accept the risk, and it wont bother you again for that same reason.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 5

Sometimes this warning is picked up by webadvisor from Windows action center as it for some reason throws up messages re firewall and AV off early after the PC boots. the warning goes away by 5 minutes. Just a suggestion to check action Center when this message pops up before you click accept risk.

jgreagan88
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

I have been getting this alert too and have not clicked to "fix". I did open by McAfee and it showed that the computer was secure, AV protection on and firewall on. I did a reboot yesterday. Maybe that caused it?

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

Maybe if if still there 5 mins after boot call support and see if they know of the issue

Support

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community