Message 1 of 10

Install\Uninstall proble

XP Home+SP2 IE7

I was having a ShutDown problem - hanging on 'Logging off'

This was cured by Stopping the McAfee Service immediately before Shutting Down

Because of this problem I went to Uninstall SA

While Uninstalling I had to answer a McAfee questionnaire - which I did

The entry in Add\Remove did not disappear

"An Error occured while trying to Remove McAfee Site Adviser. Would you like to remove Site Adviser from the A\R List?"

I said YES..

"You do not have sufficient access to remove site Asdviser. Contact System Administrator"

I am the Administrator, the only user of this Computer

I tried to Re-Install SA - it said Installation Successful but there is no Button on IE and there is nothing in the McAfee Folder in C:\Program Files

So, now I can neither Install nor Uninstall

Any suggestions please?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

RE: Install\Uninstall proble

Use the MCPR tool in my signature and try to avoid messing with services as that will surely bring grief eventually.

Then download the latest version from http://www.siteadvisor.com or your McAfee account.

Please note: That tool will remove all McAfee software back as far as 2005. It is compatible only with Windows 2000 SP4, XP SP1+ (x86) and Vista (x86 & x64).
thingy
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Ex_Brit

Thanks for your Reply

I used the CleanUp Tool and then Downloaded and Installed the latest Version (the same as I had previously)

The same thing is happening at Shutdwon\ReStart - hanging on 'Logging Off'

The only way to cure this (apart from using the Power Button) is to Stop the McAfee SA Service

The Site Advisor is definitely causing the Shutdown problem since it didn't happen after I used the CleanUp tool

So, unless you have another suggestion, I shall have to use the Tool again and then not use SA which is a shame because I liked it
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Disable any other phishing filters...such as the one in IE7 and any other browser. In IE make sure that Content Advisor is turned off under Tools/Internet Options/Content.

It appears that SiteAdvisor is reacting with something else that is doing the same or similar function.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

What is your operating system and service pack please?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

What browser are you using by the way?
thingy
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Ex_Brit

XPHome+SP2 - IE7

I don't use any Phishing Filter and the IE Content Advisor has never been Enabled

I have no Program with a similar feature

The problem started after I had been 'fiddling' with the Green Button trying to get it over to the right where it used to be instead of having it's own ToolBar

As soon as I realised the problem I did use System Restore back a couple of days to before I fiddled with the Button but that made no difference

I don't see any Posts with the same problem so I suppose it must be something to do with my Computer

Thanks for your help
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

It shouldn't really be causing this though. What is your SA version? Click the little down arrow then select About.

In IE7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset. Click Apply, OK & then exit IE7.
When you next open it you will have to re-enable all your add-ons. Do that one by one and if you spot any that are unfamiliar post it here.

Is SA the only McAfee product you are using? If so I would uninstall from the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and then run the MCPR tool, reboot and run the tool again, then reboot.

I've never known SA to hold up a shutdown process as it's such a small add-on.

The best I can suggest right now if it continues is to file a feedback form giving the URL for this thread and wait for them to get back to you: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

One last thought...are you using SA's Protected Mode...if so don't?
thingy
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Ex_Brit

My SA Version is 2.8.255 - the latest Version Downloaded ealier today

I did as you suggested re IE Add-ons but it made no difference - there are no unfamiliar Add-ons there

SA is the only McAfee product I am using

I did as you suggested ie used the MCPR Tool twice with ReBoots - then Re-Installed but still the same

What is SA's Protected Mode - can't find any Setting for that?

I have made use of McAfee's E-mail Support but that will take a few days

Meanwhile I shall have to Stop the Service each time I ShutDown or use the Power Button

If Tech Support can't help then I shall just have to do without SA

Thanks for your help
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Well, for now all I can suggest is use the Feedback form as I suggested and maybe try Technical Support Chat.

Meanwhile there are some alternatives to SiteAdvisor which I shouldn't be recommending, but why not?

See this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222625

That Protected Mode I believe isn't a feature of the free version so ignore my remark.

Version 2.8 has some issues with insistence on using an entire toolbar of its own. If you continue to use it this thread will help on relocating it:

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=222521
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community