Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamjo
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Icons disapearing next to Google search link

Greetings,

I have just done a fresh install of Firefox 3 and have also done a fresh install of McAfee SiteAdvisor for both Firefox 3 and IE7 (I'm running SA in both browsers).

As of last night, when using Google in FF3, the little green tic icon that appears next to the search links has become an empty white box (??). The status bar icon is working fine. SA in IE7 is working fine too.

I'm running Windows Vista SP1 and the only addons I have installed in FF3 are colorful tabs and McAfee Site Advisor.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Regards & thanks
10 Replies
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

RE: Icons disapearing next to Google search link

Dear Adamjo,

We received your message reporting that the annotations (= green tick icons) on the Google search results page are being displayed as empty white boxes. Thank you for contacting us.

The fix for this bug is provided as an update after installing SiteAdvisor on the system. The update would happen automatically. Since this has not happened yet on your machine, please reboot your system and open an Internet Explorer browser window. After a few minutes, the files will get updated. Now, open a FireFox window to check if you get annotations on the Google Search Results page.

If you continue to face the same problem, then please copy the file -

1. "chrome.manifest for sa exe.zip" if you've SiteAdvisor installed on both Internet Explorer and FireFox (saSetup.exe)

(or)

2. "chrome.manifest_for sa ff xpi.zip" if you've installed SiteAdvisor only on FireFox (safe.xpi)

attached in the next post. Unzip the file and rename the file to 'chrome.manifest' and paste it in the location given below (replacing the already existing 'chrome.manifest' file):-

For users who installed SiteAdvisor using saSetup.exe (which installs SiteAdvisor on SA & FF)
i. "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\<some_number>\FF\".

For users who installed SiteAdvisor using safe.xpi (which is for FireFox only)
ii. "C:\Documents and settings\<User_name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<vague_name>.default\extensions\"
Here there maybe multiple folder - all of them having weird names. Open each folder and check the sub folders if a folder named "chrome" exists. In this folder, check if a file by name 'safe.jar' exists. If it does, then go to the previous folder (root folder with the vague name). Here, a file by name 'chrome.manifest' should exist. Replace this file with chrome.manifest you just downloaded (from #2).

Now close all open FireFox browsers and launch Firefox again and check if annotations are displayed. I strongly suggest all users to wait for the automatic update which happens in a few minutes in lieu of the above as SiteAdvisor files are updated constantly. Please note that all updates happen automatically.

Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team
amitabansal
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

SiteAdvisor Files attached. Please refer to the previous thread.

Praveen Rajaretnam
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team.
adamjo
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Thankyou Praveen for your prompt reply and advice.

The problem has seemed to fixed itself as you suggested so all is good and once again I can safe securely. McAfee site advisor is a wondeful product so keep up the good work!

Regards

Adam:)
abhishek
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Thanks

Thank you very much Praveen Rajaretnam. It was very helpful to me too

Regards
abhishek
redredredredred
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

problem not resolved

Hi,
I've been having the same problem with SiteAdvisor red/amber/green icons not displaying in Google searches since I updated to Firefox 3. SiteAdvisor works fine on IE7.
I have followed the instructions contained in this thread and replaced the chrome.manifest file but the problem remains. I tried the online tech support through McAfee and they just said that SiteAdvisor is not compatible with Firefox 3, which I regard as a wholly inadequate response.
I have McAfee SecurityCenter, subscribed through my O2 broadband subscription (UK). Can anyone advise whether there is a fix for this or whether SiteAdvisor is indeed incompatible with Firefox 3?
I note that most of these posts were in June, so it is a month later now and there has been no automatic update fixing this problem.
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

More Information requested

Hello,

We need some more information before we could help you out. Please provide information for the questions listed below:-

1. Could you please specify the version of SiteAdvisor in use. To find this,
    (i) Click on the black arrow mark in the SiteAdvisor toolbar
    (ii) A drop-down menu would appear. On this menu, click on the "About" option
    (iii) In the 'About' dialog box, just above the 'OK' button, 'Version' would be displayed. (e.g., 2.6.0.6261 - This is the latest version)
  2. Under "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor", what are the names of the sub-folders present. If you've the latest version this should be 6261. However, if an automatic update update had occured, it is possible to see multiple folders (for e.g., 6253 and 6261 (or) 6172 and 6261). If so, please restart your system. After reboot only one folder - namely, '6261' should be present. If other folders still remain, manually delete them. After this, please follow the steps listed in post # 2 in this thread. It should hopefully work. Do remember to rename the file to 'chrome.manifest' after unzipping the first file - chrome.manifest for sa exe.zip

You could also try uninstalling SiteAdvisor from Add/Remove programs. Since you've a McAfee suite installed on your system, this would be present under McAfee Security Center. Select SiteAdvisor (only) from the programs listed and restart the system. Download the latest version of SiteAdvisor.
Download link
After installation, you could either wait for a day before the automatic updates to happen (or) unzip the chrome.manifest file attached and place the same in the appropriate location.

Please note that SiteAdvisor is compatible with Firefox 3.0. The patch was released for the same reason. I'll inform tech support of the same.

And do let us know if this solves the issue you're facing.

Praveen
redredredredred
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

RE: More Information requested

Thanks Praveen for your quick response.

1. Version is 26.6, Build 62.70

2. Subfolders 6253 and 6261. Still two subfolders after reboot. I'm now going to delete 6253 and replace the chrome.manifest as per your instructions in post 2, then I'll report back.
redredredredred
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Many thanks, this has resolved the problem.
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Do not delete the '6261' folder. Please delete the '6253' folder manually. The update happened from '6253' to '6261'. If you've already deleted the '6261' folder, uninstall SiteAdvisor from Add/Remove programs. Since you've a McAfee suite installed on your system, this would be present under McAfee Security Center. Select SiteAdvisor (only) from the programs listed and restart the system. Download the latest version of SiteAdvisor.
Download link
After installation, you could either wait for a day before the automatic updates to happen (or) unzip the chrome.manifest file attached and place the same in the appropriate location.

Praveen
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community