cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentmeister
Former Member
Message 1 of 33

ISSUE: SiteAdvisor spontaneously turns gray and stops responding in IE6 and IE7

I'm having this problem for days now, and despite several replies and a post of my own, nothing usable came out so far.
So, just to assist others running into the same problem, and according to Google that must be more than quite a few, I'll state my problem again in detail.

In IE6 and IE7, SiteAdvisor initially runs normally. However, after a variable amount of time browsing the Internet, the SiteAdvisor button suddenly turns gray and STAYS GRAY. Further, clicking the SiteAdvisor button has no effect, the contextmenu does NOT appear. From that moment on, SiteAdvisor no longer displays it's site ratings, the familiar green, red, yellow and gray icons. Effectively, SiteAdvisor seems disabled.

This behavior has been observed on 4 different computers each running Windows XP/SP2 and up to date with Automatic Updates. Also, this behavior spans several SiteAdvisor versions, from v2.1.1 up to the lastest, v2.5.0.6172.

Things I tried in order to solve this issue:

-1- Make sure that any firewall allows SiteAdvisor triggered traffic;
This involves adding the SiteAdvisor application to the exclusion rules in your favorite firewall software. Or add SAservice.exe, SiteAdv.exe, depending on the firewall you use.
RESULT: no effect. I've seen SiteAdvisor run normally for quiet some time on WinXP machines and spontaneously halting, resulting in the gray button.

-2- Re-install SiteAdvisor per instructions in this forum;
Making sure to delete any SiteAdvisor related folders in the All User profile and affected userprofiles, scanning the registry for any left-over settings, rebooting to ensure removal from memory, and so on;
RESULT: no effect.

-3- Manupilating all kinds of ActiveX related settings in IE6 and IE7, to ensure that the SiteAdvisor BHO (Browser Helper Object) is loaded and active;
Besides the required settings to allow thirth-party browser extensions and such rudimentary settings, these did nothing.

-4- Installing SiteAdvisor, and create fresh new userprofiles, to ensure the profiles themselves wouldn't interfere with SiteAdvisor.

-5- Disabling all other BHO's in IE7, to make sure no other BHO would conflict with SiteAdvisor.

So, this is what I did the last couple of days, and now I'm open to suggestions.
It would be most refreshing to get an intelligent respons.
Even better: It would be most refreshing to get any respons.

32 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 33

RE: ISSUE: SiteAdvisor spontaneously turns gray and stops responding in IE6 and IE7

There are four separate FAQs on "Why is SiteAdvisor off (grey)" linked in Technical Support at the top of the page.
Solution 1: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106784&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS
Solution 2: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106778&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS
Solution 3: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106846&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS
Solution 4: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=106845&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS

If those don't help, and you have already tried reinstalling as per http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=211820, then I suggest first trying the Virtual Technician, link in my signature, then if that doesn't help click Technical Support Chatline also in my signature and Chat with a Technician.

Disable all pop-up blockers to use Chat.
tnguy22
Former Member
Message 3 of 33

spontaneous greying out

I have had the exact same problem as burmeister of siteadvisor suddenly greying out. I cannot correlate it with a time frame, site visit, antivirus scan or anything. I delete plugin and reinstall. This started about beginning of December. Windows XP. Suggestions so far are not of help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 33

RE: spontaneous greying out

Grey colour can also mean that the site hasn't been assessed yet. As mentioned above contact Technical Support Chat or use the feedback form listed in the first sticky post in the forum or here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217274
They are usually pretty quick getting back to you.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 33

I just had another thought. This could also indicate a clash with browser settings.
Make sure that Content Advisor is not enabled in Tools/Internet Options/Content. Also make sure that you aren't using more than one pop-up blocker at the same time.
Garett
Former Member
Message 6 of 33

I could not figure out a permanent fix, but this is a quick remedy for the issue...

If you go to:
Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Ad-Ons (or Tools > Manage Ad-Ons as a shortcut)
Click on SiteAdvisor from the list then click disable, then enable below.

It should start working again instantly. I'll post a permanent fix if I can figure out what is causing site advisor to be disabled.
McAfeeRanger
Former Member
Message 7 of 33

That fix seems to work

Yep that seems to have worked

Let's Wait till somebody else also confirms that this fixes the issue before closing the thread.It seems that Siteadvisor needs to be restarted esp after an update to the IE.
tnguy22
Former Member
Message 8 of 33

Success on greyout

The "disable and enable routine works fine. Many thanks.
McAfeeRanger
Former Member
Message 9 of 33

Status

I think we can close this thread?

or just to make sure we will wait for one more confirmation from someone on this

Guys Please confirm if its the IE update that is causing the issue??
LSECJ
Former Member
Message 10 of 33

RE: Status

I have just updated my internet explorer to IE7 and have mcafee site advisor dissapeared. So i got the free download from the website and although i have the mcafee siteadvisor on my toolbar it is grey and nothing happens when i click on it, and no ratings appear in my searches. I have tried the solutions and the 'enable and disable' routine aswell as downloading it again but to no avail.....maybe it was the update that has caused it ?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community