cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grits
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

I'm soooo lost.......

I think I've read just about every post here over this last week & still don't know what to do or where to go. I am a newbie of sorts so please excuse me while I try to explain this :
sometime last week I got one of those "alert things" from ZoneAlarm that I guess must have dealt with SiteAdvisor........I guess I clicked "Deny".........things are really fuzzy for me cuz I'm always in such a hurry to get a few things done in my limited time on puter before going to work. Anyway........then one day when I "Googled" something I realized there was no SiteAdvisor so between then & now, & my reading, I've tried to uninstall it so I could re-install.......but now not sure I should even try except for the fact that I'm scared to death to "Google" anything without SA. I don't remember all I've done other than using remove from Add/Remove......think I removed all references from ZA & started looking at Windows Explorer but that's foreign territory to me. One big question I have is: it still shows as "Enabled" twice in "Manage add-ons".........I guess I didn't realize it was an add-on. 😮 . How much more do I need to delete before / if I do download it again :confused:
Thank you.
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: I'm soooo lost.......

I'm not sure I understand you. You did remove SiteAdvisor using Control panel/Add or Remove, or you didn't?

It sounds like you should try removing it completely that way and reinstall it if you want to use it.

It is listed either as McAfee Siteadvisor or McAfee Security Center if other McAfee products are present and if the latter then you choose which part to remove.

If that doesn't help then I would use the MCPR removal tool linked in my signature which will remove all trace of McAfee products. Then reinstall from your account or http://www.siteadvisor.com
grits
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

yes, I did remove via Add/Remove , that's why I wonder why there are still references to the program in other areas such as IE7 Options - Manage Add-Ons? Plain ole' SiteAdvisor is the only McAfee thing I put on here so have gotten confused by posts that refer to "Security Center" , etc. I did read where you gave instructions to other people but didn't & still don't understand : should ALL traces of SA be deleted before reinstalling? & in your instructions, am not sure if you mean to do all steps that you have listed after using the removal tool, or does the tool do it all? Sorry if I'm confusing you......."in a nutshell", my concern is that there are folders/files ( what's the difference) in Widows Explorer & then the IE add-ons and will they interfer with a new download?
Thanks again.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

It would be best that all references to it are removed before attempting a new installation or it may, at some stage, become corrupted, or act strangely.

Did you reboot after removing it the normal way?

If you did and there are still remnants, then use the removal tool.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community