cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonimacaroni
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

I can't fully remove SiteAdvisor, tried MCPR.exe and virtual technician.

I can't fully remove SiteAdvisor, tried MCPR.exe and virtual technician. No SiteAdvisor in my browser(s) as well. How to get rid of the final leftovers of SiteAdvisor?? The registry shows no McAfee products as well.

I'm really at the and of my capabilities, and I'm a bit angry as well.

Here's the story:

While installing F-Secure (distributed by XS4all, who used to distribute McAfee to us, and where this problem relates to) the FS intaller finds conflicting software (SiteAdvisor).

Unfortunately I can't remove any SiteAdvisor left-overs by myself anymore. I did everything I can:

- checked installed software: no McAfee products installed

- no SiteAdviser installed in my browser(s)

- contacted F-Secure help desk

- checked registry: no McAfee keys present (as far as I can see)

- run MCPR.exe (twoo times) no result

- downloaded "virtual technician" --> some actions carried out, but still conflicting software found during new attempt with installing F-Secure.

Thanks in advance for a solution

Ton

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: I can't fully remove SiteAdvisor, tried MCPR.exe and virtual technician.

You are posting in Business.  Was it Siteadvisor or SiteAdvisor Enterprise ?   MCPR wont remove the latter.  Virtual technician wont help either - it will only ADD more registry keys.

I need to know what version so I can move this and possibly help more with removal.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

OK I'm going to stick my neck out and assume it's the home product.

MCPR is best freshly downloaded each time you use it so make sure this is the one you use:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Reboot immediately afterwards and sometimes it has to be run 2 or even 3 times, rebooting each time.

If that isn't successful then I'll post a rather long registry removal method.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

tonimacaroni
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Hi Ex-Brit,

Sorry for posting in the wrong place; thanks for your correcting action. I'm new and this forum stuff is way to complicated for me...

Anyway: I tried MCRP.exe alreay (twice?) and also cheked the registry (with my limited knowledge).

But: tomorrow I'll try again with the latest MCRP.exe and let you know.

What I hate is that McAfee leaves its dirt on my PC, and does not support at all; volunteers like you have to clean their mess, is that fair??

Anyway, Thanks very much; I'll keep you posted.

Now my bed is calling (is that correct english?)

Ton

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Your English is fine 😉

It's strange that MCPR is not removing all traces, that's why I asked if this was the commercial version SiteAdvisor Enterprise.

If it still causes problems you could try Technical Support, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Or you could try the registry removal method which is extremely long and laborious.

The  regedit  procedure can be done offline if you wish.

Go to Start/Run (or Windows key + R) and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5889-9-62438/276-201/regedit.JPG

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were originally installed and the MCPR removal tool didn't work for some reason.

Repeat the operation using SiteAdvisor as the search parameter.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Had to amend the above to remove reference to "Useful Links' which was in the old forum.....sorry about that, that's what happens when I blindly cut and paste.

tonimacaroni
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Thanks Peter!

However, the problem is a bit more serious: (as stated) there are no items (keys?) from McAfee in the registry. I double checked using "find".

I oncemore ran(?) the MCPR.exe but unfortunately the same result.

I also tried it with by browser closed, that did not help either. I guess I'll never solve this problem.... This is what I hate about computers...

Ton

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Sorry ti hear that.  Did you repeat the regedit search using Siteadvisor?

Technical Support might have some tricks up their sleeves if you want to try them as I suggested earlier.   Link is below the post above.

Make sure you tell them that you are being prevented from installing different protection because of remnants of McAfee left behind and the tool doesn't help.

Good luck 😉

tonimacaroni
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Yep, no hits in the registry as well..

Thanks mate!

Ton

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

Sorry, I wish I had a brainwave, but the old grey matter is obviously on strike today.

Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community