cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sithlord76
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

I am having problems with McAfee Site Advisor its turn off???

McAfee 4.PNG

On my computer I have McAfee LiveSafe and the site advisor is not rating anything when I do searches also the box it has a question mark and its gray. Here is what it looks like when I do searches please advise on what I should do. I also ran McAfee technician and it also didn't find anything.

9 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: I am having problems with McAfee Site Advisor its turn off???

You've posted in the Beta-products section. Are you running a Beta version of McAfee?

fwiw if there are no ratings in searches it could be that your client-side SiteAdvisor isn't working, the SiteAdvisor servers are down again, or there isn't an established network link between the SiteAdvisor client and the servers. Try another browser, then another search engine, and see if you get the same (non-)result.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Livesafe is not a beta product so have moved this to the main SiteAvisor forum.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 10

Re: Re: I am having problems with McAfee Site Advisor its turn off???

Hi ,

Please post back the version of Site Advisor in order to confirm if it is the latest version. To do this you need to click on arrow facing down in the McAfee's Secure Search Toolbar and choose About option from drop down.

blacksword65
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Had same issue, till I found a solution.

Site advisor stops working when mcafee has updated.

Solution - Restart your computer after McAfee has updated, site advisor works again.

Have found that turning McAfee automatic updates off, and just checking for updates manually at the start of every session, get any updates, then restart computer, site advisor then works right.

But if you then check for updates during a session and download latest updates, site advisor stops working, and you then have to restart computer for site advisor to work again.

Have informed McAfee about this basic flaw in their software, but they didnt seem interested. Surprised more people haven't complained about this basic flaw/issue regards site advisor, it would surely be fairly simple for McAfee to fix.

sithlord76
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

I have already tried that and it is still off the version is 3.7.1.125 it was last updated on 8/11/14 this is getting very annoying please advise about it. If it is a flaw McAfee should fix it. This is also McAfee live toolbar so its even more annoying.  I even have software and it checked the toolbar and said it was working. I was wondering maybe the reason why its not working is cause I have a 64 bit machine not a 32bit.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

It's a flaw in the way SiteAdvisor works which I have explained at length in many threads in the SiteAdvisor section. I don't think there's a simple fix and none of the things that have been tried work all the time for everyone. Rebooting, or re-starting the browser, may set up the connection to the servers properly, but it's not guaranteed to work every time.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Of course if you receive the Silent Site Advisor (Build) it is recommended that you (Restart) to complete the installation. Having said that...I pay close attention to Hayton, for he is well-informed of the workings of Site Advisor.

As for the 64 bit/ x86 installation. That is system specific, if I am not terribly mistaken.

Regards,

Catdaddy

Volunteer Moderator 1

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
blacksword65
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

All I know is, site advisor works at initial boot up, site advisor doesn't work after I've gone into McAfee Security Center and updated definitions,etc..

When I reboot/re-start after updating McAfee, site advisor then works again.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

It's a handshake problem. When you do a McAfee update it checks for everything including SA. Sometimes the links get established/re-established, sometimes not. Same at start-up, same with opening Chrome (which uses a different method to enable SA in the browser). Re-booting may or may not result in the handshake completing correctly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community