cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newsman2010
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How to get bad review removed?

I recently came across a reviewer that seems to mark tons of sites as a [spam operation].

I discovered this while checking the reviews on some my sites, and it has me pissed off!

He is going to ruin the reputation of my sites before they even get off the ground!

I want this removed as my site is not a "spam operation."

This site has never even had a single spam-bot registration!

Link: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/photographywikipedia.com/msgpage/

This one I did have a problem with spam-bot registrations, but  I got that cleaned up and resolved now. it is not and has never been a [spam operation]!

Link: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/politicalwikipedia.com/msgpage

I'm not pleased at all with this system because so far, out of two wikipedias I have, both are reviewed as a "spam operation" when they're not and have never been! Why is there no moderation or verification by McAfee before allowing negative reviews like this? it could ruin the reputation of a new site like mine before it ever gets off the ground - by viewers that use McAfee!

Not happy!

7 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to get bad review removed?

You will need to contact the Site Advisor team to resolve your issue. This link should provide you some information.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

..and as the actual rating is an automated process which hasn't yet taken place (hence the grey flag) and reviews don't effect that process, it's difficult to say what the final outcome will be anyway.

NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 4 of 8

To echo Ex_Brit, the SiteAdvisor rating is not based upon reviewers' comments. 

The volunteer site reviewers are not allowed to later withdraw or to edit their reviews.  However, the reviewers with high reputations are often willing to post additional comments to correct their errors or the update their opinions of a site's current status.  You may be able to contact a reviewer using a private message (PM) on this site.   Replies may not happen very rapidly; I doubt if many reviewers check their PMs daily.  Angry or abusive PMs should be avoided, of course.  McAfee has upon ocassion removed comments and banned reviewers for various reasons.  However, a bad review is most often punished by being voted "unhelpful" by users who read it.

Message was edited by: NotBuyingIt for grammar on 7/24/11 11:53:51 AM CDT
AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I don't know specifically what Doug was commenting on. But I found some suspicious backlinks:

nycaviation.com/2011/02/on-this-day-in-aviation-history-february-23rd/

ptp.hud.gov/forumswww/Thread.cfm?CFID=6971951&CFTOKEN=58227685&CFApp=13&Thread_ID=17600&mc=1

You can see it looks like you were having someone promote your website. What apparently really happened was that someone posted text with links on your site (which you have removed), then posted links to the post your site to amplify the SEO effect.

Such blackhat SEO techniques are a reason the real target site should be downrated. They're trying to deflect the negative consequences of their actions on innocent sites like yours.

You may want to register at mywot.com where user ratings do carry weight. If anyone spams your site like that, you can post ratings about it on the scorecards there.

Message was edited by: AlphaCentauri on 7/25/11 11:25:26 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: AlphaCentauri on 7/25/11 11:30:28 PM GMT-05:00
newsman2010
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Thank you all for your replies!

@alpha...

I'm new to all this and I'm not an IT guy. I'm been trying to learn as much as possible to make my sites safe and spam free though.

So because of this site spamming me and all, now I must suffer bad ratings and people too scared to join and help build the wiki because of it?

This isn't looking good.

Have I just wasted my time and money on this? I don't really have the extra time and patience to run around the Internet all day tracking down bad reviews and ratings from clowns nor tracking spammers and figuring out how to get rid of their "backlinks."

Besides, it seems even this system McAfee has leaves me powerless of reversing Dougs negative review.

I'm seriously so pissed off and frustrated that I'm tempted to close it down and sale off the domains.

AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Don't worry about Doug's review. McAfee doesn't pay any attention to it when they come up with their ratings, and the most recent reviews go on top. I'll post one there.

This spamming cascade thing is new, and I didn't really appreciate that innocent sites were being sucked into it until now. Once the word goes out, people will learn to look for it, the way they look for hijacked sites in spam emails.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

I posted too and eventually Doug's review will be pushed off that 1st page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community