cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWH803
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

How to Distinguish Free SiteAdvisor versions?

My previous Free “SideAdvisor Setup” exe and the one I just downloaded are identical for Properties, that is Properties does not include Version. The only difference seems to be the size of the two executables and the upper case "S" in the older version:

sasetup.exe 1.72 MB (1,811,432 bytes)
saSetup old.exe 1.66 MB (1,745,096 bytes)

As the defects are removed from the Free SiteAdvisor, how can we distinguish the exact version that is available from McAfee’s download servers at any given time? I want to avoid the defective version that was forcibly installed a few days ago.
14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

RE: How to Distinguish Free SiteAdvisor versions?

Unfortunately you can't tell the version for either the download page or the installer.

The only way is afterwards click the little arrow to the right of the toolbar icon and then select "About". That will tell you if it's Plus or regular version and the version number.
hopera
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

using About

Ok, I checked About to see what version I had. Now the Blue Bubble will not go away.

If I hit the OK button or the 'x' it opens a new IE window with the following:
The webpage cannot be displayed
Most likely cause:
Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

What you can try:
Search online for a program you can use to view this web content.
Retype the address.
Go back to the previous page.

Well I didn't try to open any webpage. I'm trying to close the bubble:mad:

Can you suggest that they give us a choice of versions we'd like to use untill they get these problems fixed
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

RE: using About

The servers are down again and that would lock it until it can communicate with base. Something I already advised you about on the other thread you posted in.

Call up Task Manager and under Properties tab "End Process" for Siteadv.exe.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

RE: using About

Forgot.... Task Manager is obtained by hitting the following keys simultaneously.

CTRL - ALT - Delete
hopera
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Problems

ExBrit.....thank you for your attempts to help. It's more than I got the other day from McAfee Support. If I seem a little short, I am, just not at you.

1. I went to task manager as you suggested. The file name you gave does not exist. Yes I sorted by name to make it easier to find and checked the box to show processes from all users. So the blue bubble is still there

2. I know the computers are back up because the siteadvisor button on the tool bar is now green, meaning it's communicating

3. Does not yet answer the question about why it's not working on Yahoo EXCEPT on sponsored sites:confused:

Support told me for #3 to contact Yahoo and ask what changes they made. Duh....have you ever tried to contact Yahoo?

4. How do I get back to the old version until these problems are worked out? I have not volunteered to be a guinea pig. My time on my computer is for my enjoyment, not this mess
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

RE: Problems

Over the years I've learned that one cannot contact Yahoo without parting with money.... but that doesn't mean they are totally unavailable. For instance is your Yahoo provided by your ISP? If so then they are the people to ask.

All I know is what I can gather from my own ISP who are using a special name for Siteadvisor - "Searchscan (Beta)". See thumbs below....

There could be somewhere in your settings where it has to be activated perhaps? At this stage I really can't advise you what is going on, especially as I don't like Yahoo's search and much prefer Google's.
hopera
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

problems

Sorry Ex Brit but your last answer disappoints....

1. SearchScan is not from your ISP. "What is SearchScan?
SearchScan by Yahoo! Search helps alerts you to sites with security concerns such as viruses, spam, and other dangerous software which may expose your computer or unsolicited email which may flood your email. Yahoo! Search has partnered with McAfee, a leading web security company, to scan search results for dangerous web sites. SearchScan can help protect you from:" (etc, etc, etc)
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/security/security-01.html

I had already explored these possibilities before I went to support. I like trying to solve my own problems.

2. It really makes me want to tear my hair out when people say they perfer Google to Yahoo. It's not the point. Google returns results based on how popular a site is on a key word by the number of past hits. Yahoo returns results based on the number of matching key words. When you're searching for items, phrases that are obscure Yahoo gives better results. When you want the local theater use Google and you'll get the most popular site.

3. At least you said you don't know what's going on. I like honesty.

4. I still want the old version. I still don't like being a test subject.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

RE: problems

I've made it a question for next Monday's conference call. Meanwhile you should file a complaint using the feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html
hopera
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

problems

Thank you for taking a greater interest than others I've contacted.

I have sent in the feedbacks as you suggested in the locked messages.

I simply hope this gets resolved soon
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community