cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frustratedconsu
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

How do you disable SiteAdvisor as part of a TotalProtection Package?

Hi everyone,

I have come here as a last resort, having tried everything else.

I have just purchased a new computer which has come with McAfee Total Protection which has SiteAdvisor as part of the package.

I am using Windows 8 as my operating system.

I have the Steam game client for downloading and launching games as many people do. Every time I launch a game using the battleye client, I receive the following error message in a command prompt box which jumps up as the game loads. 'C:\Progra2/McAfee/SITEAD2\sahook.dll'. Having done a bit of investigation it appears that site advisor is stopping the 3rd party battleye client from downloading some necessary files.

I have now tried almost every solution to remove siteadvisor with no avail. Add/Remove programs will only allow me to remove the whole protection suite, but helpfully informs me that doing this will not uninstall SiteAdvisor which they will helpfully leave behind. My only option would be to uninstall the whole suite, then uninstall siteadvisor.

I assume that reinstalling McAfee would then reinstall site advisor.

McAfee products should not install programs which are impossible to disable or delete. It is incredibly frustrating to have all the buttons in the application related to SiteAdvisor as mere hyperlinks to some bland page on the McAfee website.

If I cannot find a way to fix this then I am going to have to uninstall everything and buy a new antivirus package from a different supplier.

Please Help!!!

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do you disable SiteAdvisor as part of a TotalProtection Package?

Moved to SiteAdvisor.

SA is a browser add-on and as such can be disabled in browser add-ons settings, or even removed there.

It's a safeguard against malicious websites, so disabling/removing it merely allows you to surf unhindered by any safety warnings.

If that's what you prefer, then fine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

BTW the initial Total Protection installer should have offered a choice of full or custom installation.  The latter would have allowed the option of not installing SA.  However, not all Total Protection installers are created equal.  If you obtain yours from a 3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker, then the package may not be designed in such a way as to allow that choice.

frustratedconsu
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been on to techsupport who manually turned off the browser SiteAdvisor and disabled all the McAfee protection. Same error message. It seems as if siteadvisor is blocking the download of a third party files even though they are not coming through a browser. The customer support rep told me it can't be McAfee because he disabled the browser app and turned off the firewall and scan in the package.

What I can't understand is, if this does turn off all McAfee elements, then why is the directory message: '/McAfee/SITEAD2\sahook.dll'? Clearly that is part of the McAfee software which is blocking the download?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

"C:\Progra2/McAfee/SITEAD2\sahook.dll"

What on Earth is Progra2?  It looks to me like your Windows installation is screwed up.  Do you see more than one Program Files folder on your hard drive (I mean other than Program Files and Program Files (x86) if this is a 64-bit system).

Best uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel (all entries there). Reboot immediately if asked to.

Run the MCPR Cleanup tool from this link: http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp and reboot immediately

Reinstall your software using the Custom method as I described.

You can always add SiteAdvisor later if you wish inside SecurityCenter > Navigation > Features

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Re: Re: How do you disable SiteAdvisor as part of a TotalProtection Package?

Hi ,

I reviewed the session and found that issue with a particular dll file. I would suggest we uninstall McAfee SiteAdvisor from Control Panel and see if the issue persists.

siteaddll.png

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community