cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
babysteps
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

How can I tell if I am receiving all of the benefits of Web Advisor?

Jump to solution

I have a Windows 10 laptop and didn't like using Microsoft Edge to browse as you cannot get the green ticks showing safe sites. I had Google Chrome installed and the green ticks appeared. However, the other day a McAfee pop up advised me to be careful when browsing as I did not have Secure Search enabled and would do this for me next time I opened my browser. I reopened Google Chrome and the Google search box had disappeared. Typing in a search at the top of the screen took me to Yahoo results. I went into the settings for Google and changed my 'search engine used from omnibox' back to Google (there were 2 options, the other was Secure Search). I still get the green ticks when searching but my question is this:

How do I know if Web Advisor is giving me the other functionality that it contains ie security check on Anti-Virus and Firewall, safer downloads, password advisor and 'we learn from you'. Is the fact that the green ticks are appearing enough to tell me all of the functionality is on or are there two (or more) parts to this product some of which may be switched off?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: How can I tell if I am receiving all of the benefits of Web Advisor?

Jump to solution

Hi

You can find these in the Web Advisor "Options" Window.

WAoptions.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi

You can find these in the Web Advisor "Options" Window.

WAoptions.png

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Capture.JPG

You can also open your Web Advisor Interface, (Click on About) and see what it has done on your behalf thus far.

To open, Click on (White) Cog Wheel in Internet Explorer/Web Advisor/About.

As a matter of fact mine just updated to v4.02.173.

Hope this helps,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
babysteps
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Really sorry to ask what is probably a very basic further question. How do I get to the Web Advisor Options window? I have looked in the McAfee icon and every link for web protection seems to take me to a landing page which simply lists the new benefits of Web Advisor. There is nothing to click on or select. (Although there is a green tick under download protection, browser protection and firewall - maybe I really am being thick and these would show crosses if anything was switched off?).

I've looked in settings for Google Chrome and McAfee is only mentioned in relation to Secure Search (which is not the default) and in extensions.

I've also looked in settings using the Start button but no joy there either.

I don't have Internet Explorer loaded on my laptop.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Internet Explorer 11 as well as Edge comes with Windows 10. Do you not have a Icon in the lower Task Bar? Please follow the steps I suggested in Post #2.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

babysteps, you have IE11 already installed.  It's listed in your programs.  Settings are reached there, by clicking the little cogwheel symbol at top right corner.  The settings drop-down menu will contain the WebAdvisor links.  Settings in IE control those for all browsers, if set as shown previously.

You will know it's working when using a search, the results will all have the WebAdvisor annotation at the right-hand side.

Ignore Edge, that doesn't allow any extensions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi ,

As Colleague Ex_Brit mentioned, if you do not see the Internet Explorer 11 Icon in the 'Lower Task Bar', it will be in your listed programs. Again, if you click on 'About' after you have accessed the Web Advisor Interface. You will be self-assured of (all) the protection that has occurred on your behalf, beyond simply giving 'Search Annotations'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

You mentioned Chrome.  WebAdvisor's functionality in Chrome is slightly deprecated due to the fact that extensions are restricted by Gooogle in Chrome so you may find that the version in Chrome is an older one than in other browsers.

I personally find Firefox the best to use and can recommend it as it can be skinned, personalised etc.

babysteps
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Success!! The information you all provided has allowed me to turn on the Windows Feature for Internet Explorer 11 and view the McAfee settings and activities provided so far on my behalf by Web Advisor.

Thanks to all of you, this has been really helpful. I only seem to be able to mark one answer as correct but they all helped along the way!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community